Recent NF Hood photos-10-9-05

Chad_A

I know there's some local alpine-ists looking at doing the NF. Yesterday, went up to the Eliot to do some seracing, so I here's some of the recon photos I took. Got a good view from on top of the seracs bigdrink.gif

Upper Couloirs:

4625UpperGullies2.jpg

Lower Couloirs/Ice flows:

4625LowerGull2.jpg

Cooper Spur/North Face:

4625Cooper_NF-SM.jpg

Picturesque Photos:

4625NF_Sun2-Sm.jpg

4625NF_Sun-SM.jpg

4625HoodSerac-SM.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, that's hard to tell. Though, overall, everything else had some melting going on up there, and there were some ice daggers beginning to hang on the Cooper Spur ice routes that people always talk about, so I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some ice up there.

My best guess is to wait for one more good storm, and some more freeze-thaw, and then it should be golden. Of course, last year I threw myself at it multiple times before I finally got it done. And it was well worth it...

Update: bad conditions. Went up seracing today; gullies look worse today than before, then a lenticular came in. I'd brought binoculars to get a good look at the ice pitches, but it doesn't matter; the right gully has a brown, rock-showing runnel going all the way down to the bergschrund. Thought I'd post this, and save some people gas cash. If I get up there later on this week, I'll post another update, but I don't see anything huge in the forecast that will change anything before then. Supposedly, some good snows were supposed to take place up there, but from what we say today, they didn't happen.

Hopefully a good storm will come along, and then some good freeze-melt will happen bigdrink.gif

was up there saturday night sunday morning, did the spur up a bit then traversed over onto the north face. conditions definetely sucked but the whole face (minus the two gullies) is climbable. i went solo so some of the spots were a lil sketchy because of the powdery snow. Its not bad though, just bring a lot of pickets if you want protection.

So, did you make it into the couloirs, or is the an assumption based on conditions you saw elsewhere?

Just curious. Here's conditions I saw yesterday on 10/24. It'll be interesting to see how much snow we actually get up there with this system. Hopefully, what we do get will consolidate quickly, and won't be enough to make us wait too long to climb it! fruit.gif

4625NF_102405sm.jpg