[TR] Grant Peak- Northeast Face 9/27/2005

tlinn

Climb: Grant Peak-Northeast Face

Date of Climb: 9/27/2005

Trip Report:

Nick Elson and I made use of a beautiful Fall weekend by getting out on Grant Peak in the North Cascades near Hope. The full trip report should probably begin at the VOC 80`s party but I will spare those details and just say that neither of us can figure out how the traffic cone got into the back of my parent`s car. My dad was a little shocked, as were we.

My dad was kind enough to drive us up the Berkey Creek logging roads in his 4x4. From there, we stashed our bikes and started walking across the logging cut and up towards the ridges leading to the peak. The peak looked a long ways away, but we made pretty good time as most of the brush was pretty light and we managed to find a few game trails (what Nick calls the "bear superhighway").

We were a bit stressed by the glacier at the bottom of the face as neither of us thought to bring crampons but we relieved that our chosen line had a nice rock buttress leading right to the first pitch.

We descended down the NW? ridge towards our bivy lake. This was the least fun part of the trip as we had to walk, crawl, and slip down steep heather. A nice afternoon snooze, a relazing dinner, and we slid back into our bivy sacks for the night. The climb was 8 rope stretchers in length plus a bit of simul-climbing. Most of the pitches were low fifth class with the most difficult pitch being 5.6 or 5.7. The rock is generally good quality but is pretty mossy down low. It protects best with small tcus.

Our descent was made with mountain bikes down the Berkey Creek road. It was fun coasting into Hope on our mountain bikes and getting a burger at the Triple-O before heading back to my parents and driving back to Vancouver.

Thanks Nick

6093grant_from_afar-med.jpg

Views along the ridge

6093facefromsmalllake-med.jpg

6093wellsandhope-med.jpg

Mt. Hope and Wells Peak

6093granttarn-med.jpg

The bivy lake

6093grantneface-med.jpg

Our ascent route...lots of unclimbed rock

6093nickscrambling-med.jpg

Nick scrambling

6093nick1stpitch-med.jpg

Nick on the first pitch

6093lowerpitches-med.jpg

one of the heathery lower pitches

6093tyupperpitches-med.jpg

Me on the sixth pitch

6093eatonlake-med.jpg

Eaton Lake

6093eatonpeak-med.jpg

Eaton Peak, Silvertip, Payne, Rideout, etc.

Edited by tlinn

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...