more Shasta winter questions...

thatcher

I posted a while back about a winter shasta climb.

I have a couple more questions:

what is the easiest/safest route for a late november climb?

I am bringing some inexperienced friends. is avalanch gulch anygood that time of year? I assume the name suggests that it isnt a very safe route in winter.

How much snow is there in a typical winter in late november?

I assume snowshoes should be used and I should bring a probe and beacons for avalanch danger?

what is the weather like in late november?

is it consistent? whats the general temperature? that may be a dumb question.

any other commentary would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-tk

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the access road hasn't been snowed in by November, and there is snow on the upper mountain, I understand the Clear Creek route is great - and probably the easiest way up the peak. No rope necessary, but if it's icy, crampons might be useful. If your plans are put off until wintertime, the Green Butte/Avalanche Gulch route is the way to go - snow conditions permitting. The actual gulch is fairly steep as you approach Thumb Rock at 12800'. If it's icy, it could be scary for novices. Plowed road to 6800 feet makes it the route of choice though. A great ski too!

went up Avalanche Gulch during early early spring a few years ago, still lots of snow but once higher on the mountain it was fine. Since the Gulch was steep we decided to go up the ridge just to the right of it. Unfortunatly it was too windy to even stand up straight. Would have liked crampons, but didn't need a rope.

Good to see you making some postings old friend... hee hee!! We should team up to do something this season!! Ashley and I finally got out and did a class 3/4 summit near tahoe and it was a blast!! Spooked this shit out of me though.. (a good kind of spooky none the less)..

Keep in touch.. I am suspecting that I will stick to doing some backcountry near tahoe for the winter but come spring- we should do some climbing!!! (maybe this time we'll get competent partners!!!)

take it easy

u wanna hit shasta with me and a friend on thanksgiving? eh? have a nice turkey sandwich at the top.

there is some great great hiking in Desolation Wilderness on state route 50 between Sacramento and tahoe. its beautiful. there is a great sketchy hike up horsetail falls and up into the valley. some nice peak scambles from there. check it out sometime.