guidebooks

bigbro

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big part of why I like north Idaho is that their hasn't been a guidebook available for 15 or 20 years, so a lot of the information that is out there is word of mouth. There's still a lot of 'adventure' in the climbing around here. I don't know what you mean buy north Idaho but I certainly hope that doesn't mean areas in north-central Idaho like the South Fork, Clearwater Mountains, etc. Do you know if it's going to be a widely published Mountaineers-type book or something smaller circulation, ala the Buckhorst montana guides?

Also, is it supposed to have ice climbs? What area is it supposed to cover?

I've had a lot of fun putting together my own little 'guidebook,' a notebook of all the hand-drawn topos and rumors and info I've picked up over time. I hope this doesn't draw crouds to the quieter spots of the area.

I was told this info. by a reliable source in passing. THe Idaho guide is by some guy that lives in sandpoint. . . his name did not ring a bell with me and I don't remember it. I believe they said it was being published in sandpoint as well. This is all I know.

Marty's book covers LaClede and Post Falls. That pretty much makes up about 99% of the climbing done in North Idaho. Thad's new book, assuming your talking about Thad, will cover more areas but they all pretty much suck anyway, so it's not like more publicity will change them much. It's also going to have more up to date info on Chimney Rock, which will be of interest to visiting climbers.

NW Montana, now that's some rock worth keeping quiet.