Sahale Peak...still skiable?

JoshK

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see the arm in the other posting photo form Friday last week under North Cascades- Spier,Formidable. It should give you a general idea how much snow is there. You'll be huffing in the woods with your skis no doubt. Probably all the way to the pass and more. ONe week before the snow went all the way to the parking lot. That should give you an idea of how fast it is melting eh?

Was in the area last wkend. Snow from just below summit rocks to timberline (if you cut to right side of ridge before it levels out). Might have to walk over exposed rocks on ridge for a bit in order to continue right & then ski around grassy patches into the larger snowfield that will take you into the trees. Might not be totally worth it though...

I too was there last weekend. There were several snowboarders and some skiers up there. Last weekend you could ski all the way down to below cascade pass (veering right just before cascade pass traversing the hillside). There's probably been some significant melt out since then, as there was quite a bit even over the 2 days I was up there. I've never used rope on Sahale, but like someone above me said, it really depends on your own personal comfort level. Have fun.

Gee, everybody was on Sahale last weekend. [smile] So was I.

If you know where to go, you can still ski from Cascade Pass to the parking lot with only 100 yards of off-ski travel. (I just did it this afternoon.) It requires some scrambling and brush grabbing on the headwall below the pass (right-center as you look up from the parking lot). But as everyone has said, the snow is going fast. The trail from the pass to the arm is largely snowfree now, but once you're on the arm, it's still mostly snow covered.

If you've never climbed Sahale before, I recommend bringing a rope and a few chocks.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing Sahale peak this sunday via sahale arm. Anybody been up there recently? I'm wondering if it's worth hauling my skis up with me.

Also, I've heard the summit rock described as everything from 3rd class to 5th class. Is it worth protecting?