Best short term health insurance

skyclimb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy a comprehensive version of Lifewise for myself. I haven't used it much, but I have no complaints. I got it on the reccomendation of an insurance broker who has proven to be quite helpful with navigating health and life insurance issues. PM if you want his contact info.

I'd get castastrophic coverage...

Note that if you plan on getting a non-catastrophic plan at some point (say, through a future employer), the catastrophic insurance will not eliminate the need for a waiting period. That is, if you have a regular, non-cat plan on your own then get a fancy plan thru a future employer, there will be no waiting for full coverage. On the other hand, if you only have a cat. plan yourself, then are offered coverage through a future employer, you could have to wait for treatment. Oh, and all this is for pre-existing conditions.

Also, all of this is what I remember from my little search a year or so ago. I'm no expert and you shouldn't use my advise as your only source. Call the insurance companies and ask about what I've said above. And don't sue me.

I'd get castastrophic coverage...

Note that if you plan on getting a non-catastrophic plan at some point (say, through a future employer), the catastrophic insurance will not eliminate the need for a waiting period. That is, if you have a regular, non-cat plan on your own then get a fancy plan thru a future employer, there will be no waiting for full coverage. On the other hand, if you only have a cat. plan yourself, then are offered coverage through a future employer, you could have to wait for treatment. Oh, and all this is for pre-existing conditions.

Your waiting period or lack thereof depends completely on your employer's policy (different companies negotiate deals with their provider groups) and/or what you have negotiated with that employer. Usually, your current insurance status has no effect on this (it may for state employees--I don't know anything about that system).

Recently, there has been a great deal of legal changes regarding pre-existing conditions. Most plans no longer exclude pre-existing conditions.

If you are between jobs because you are on leave, be sure to research the FMLA act of 1993; you qualify for a specific type of coverage.

If you are planning on being in between jobs but are still currently working, you might want to consider COBRA---your HR person will have info for you.

Catastrophic coverage is good if you have assets you want to protect and don't want to risk filing for bankruptcy in the case of a major accident. But remember, the state will cover your care if you do not have the funds to do so; and you will not be refused emergency room treatment regardless of your insurance status.

On the other hand, if you plan on traveling abroad, remember that many basic coverage plans do not apply--you need extra/different coverage for that.