AT - what's a decent setup?

mattyg

I know there must be some info out there on back country skiing that I'm missing. I'd like to get into it but don't know where to start. Primarily I'd probably be using them as approach skis but would also like to ski for pleasure. Can someone give me the rundown of the different types of setups?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap and heavy (Used Raemers on an old pair of downhill boards. Use your ice or mountaineering boot of choice.)

Expensive and light (Dynafit).

If they are approach skiis and you want to focus on the climbing aspect of your boot, Find the boots that really rock and then think about how they would be to ski in. Most of them suck more or less but it is doable.

I have a Dynafit system I put together off this board for $675 all brand new. It would have been about $1200 retail.

You can always buy the demos and rentals from places like Cascade Crags (who has some right now for 50% off) and thebackcountry.net, which is where I got my first pair of boots and bindings for pretty cheap. Don't forget www.life-link.com under their "specials" page. STP and backcountry.com always have good deals as well. Evogear.com also has some nice skis for CHEAP. I know they had some Karhu boards from 2001 that were brand new for $35 at size 174 or so.

Primarily I'd probably be using them as approach skis but would also like to ski for pleasure. Can someone give me the rundown of the different types of setups?

These are somewhat incompatible goals. For an approach ski, and assuming you climb in mountain boots, you need a binding that accepts mountain boots. The Silvretta 404 is the standard of this type, though they make other models that are lighter with even fewer features. Relative to a binding designed for DIN compatible AT boots, these designs are clunky and have relatively poor release mechanisms. Suitable bindings will have a wire bail in the front instead of a plastic doohickey like on a regualr alpine binding. For the ski itself you want something that is relatively short, soft and light, b/c mountain boots are absurdly floppy relative to ski boots and won't turn a big ski. Depending on the type of skiing you do, short, soft, light floppy skis are likely less than ideal for pleasure skiing. Though if you're a total beginner this may not matter much.

If you're set on getting one pair of skis for both, a compromise would be to get light noodly ski that is still decent skiing, and mount with 404s, but buy a decent pair of AT boots. You could use the rig with your mountain boots for approaches, but bust out the good AT boots if you are going to spend the day skiing instead of climbing. The boots will make a huge huge difference in the quality of your experience going downhill. Make sure the binding you get fits both your ski and mountain boots.

Another alternative if your climbing objectives are relatively modest is get a skiing oriented rig and climb in your ski boots. AT boots (and some Tele, I understand) will take crampons.

I have an el cheapo approach setup--an old pair of elan beginner skis I picked up for cheap, mounted with an old Fritschi binding that was their equivalent to the 404. If you can find a used pair of 404s you could probably do something similar for under $200. With good boots added, it would be a fine way to get started for beginner recreational skiing as well.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great setup for what you want. It has Silvretta bindings which are pretty much the only ones you can use with mountaineering boots, and you can throw in some AT boots for real skiing. They won't have the shape you might want for carving turns on hardpack, and the toe is not releasable, but if you want to get more into AT you can get a more dedicated setup in the early summer when the deals are good. If you decide AT isn't your cup of tea, then you still have some great approach skis. $225 with skins is a pretty damn good deal too.

It has Silvretta bindings which are pretty much the only ones you can use with mountaineering boots...

Is that really true? Is it that they'll pop out under stress or that there just simply isn't enough support. confused.gif

You have me kind of bummed now. I was planning on using my Verticals with a Rando setup of Naxo01 and some Shuksans. I realize I'm not going to get anything near the performance of an AT boot, but I was assuming they'd at least work on some acceptable level. confused.gif

Is that really true? Is it that they'll pop out under stress or that there just simply isn't enough support. confused.gif

You have me kind of bummed now. I was planning on using my Verticals with a Rando setup of Naxo01 and some Shuksans. I realize I'm not going to get anything near the performance of an AT boot, but I was assuming they'd at least work on some acceptable level. confused.gif

Unless you're looking to really hurt yourself, you won't be putting a mountaineering boot in Naxos or Fritschis. Silvretta 404's work because they have a wire bail at the front, like a crampon. The other bindings have a plastic toepiece that is meant to hold onto the top of a protruding toe like on downhill or AT ski boots.

If you want to really ski, Naxos or Fritshcis are your only option. If you want to approach, you can still use that setup, and just carry your climbing boots. Not too much weight, fun, and safe. Silvrettas are very, very spooky to ski in, assuming you like your ACL's just the way they are....

If you want to really ski, Naxos or Fritshcis are your only option. If you want to approach, you can still use that setup, and just carry your climbing boots. Not too much weight, fun, and safe. Silvrettas are very, very spooky to ski in, assuming you like your ACL's just the way they are....

rolleyes.gif Your ACL will go before the boot releases from most bindings.

If you don't really care about skiing you can get a cheap "approach" setup for $100 or less. Used ramer binding from ebay and whatever skis & skins you can find cheap. Then you can save your money and get a real ski setup which will be much more fun to ski on.

i would reccommend going with a fairly wide ski, 80+ mm underfoot. these are a little pricier, and the skins are more, but the skiing will be better and easier. also AT boots are a must for any actual skiing.

a cheapo setup would be ok, but you get what you pay for

I'm using K2 Shuksans, Fritschi Diamirs, and Scarpa Denalis and am very happy with the setup. It may be too downhill focused for what you describe. The one change I would ponder would be Scarpa's slightly lighter boot, the Laser?

I've had lots of straight downhill boots less tall & rigid than the Denalis.

I'm nervous about the Diamir's numerous plastic parts failing in a way that would suck to fix in the field but that hasn't happened.

I REALLY miss Vinersa non-glue skins. they stayed under the ski pretty well & didn't have the endless glue hassles.

• 1 month later...

Frischi freerides rock. Spend the money and get the best. They have a hi DIN setting so you won't eject in hairy situations. Don't get the Dynafit system inless you just want lightweight. The little notch system gets packed with snow too easy and you'll spend too much time digggin crap out (and they eject easier). Denali's are the best boot (as far as stiffness and performance). All the other boots are too soft. Get a older/light pair of mid-fats (Rossi's or K2) and put a nice edge on them. Don't skimp on the skins either. Get a good set-up and it'll last you a long time. You don't want to have crummy equipment out in the backcountry...