down jacket

armin

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a FF Helios jacket in Pertex Quantum. I like it a lot. Packs down to the size of a Nalgene, and the pockets are more comfy for keeping my hands toasty than any other down jacket I have tried. I think it is reasonably priced, and the quality is excellent.

bigdrink.gif

they cost alot.

wazzup.gif

Feathered Friends would like to point out the following price differences:

TNF Nuptse $199

Western Mountaineering Flight (in taffeta = poor water resistance) $215

Mountain Hardwear Phantom $225

Feathered Friends Hyperion 800+ fill (in Epic = good water resistance) $182

Feathered Friends Helios 800+ fill (Epic) $203

You be the judge of whether they cost a lot.

TNF Nuptse $199

Feathered Friends Helios 800+ fill (Epic) $203

You be the judge of whether they cost a lot.

Look, I appreciate your desire to defend your product and brand, but you are stating full retail prices. There is no doubt your product is a quality down product and perhaps they are not overpriced compared to other makers in your product's space. Perhaps I should have qualified my statement with "I've found bro deals and sale items for every down product known to man, every year, except Feathered Friends stuff." As a counter point to your statement, then,..

TNF Nuptse in new condition bought at Second Ascent last week in my size, 70$.

cry.gif

<edit>I should further clarify that my own personal belief is that brand name has little or no real value when starting to contemplate the higher end/higher quality outdoor products, such as MHW, TNF, Feathered Friends, Marmot, and so on. Some of this belief comes from working in the space for many years, some of it comes from buying, and some of it comes from pure experience seeing all the hardmen out there in Canada all winter wearing rags and still sending M11. All the makers make good products, good garments, nice down garments with very good materials, workmanship, quality control, etc. FF is no exception. So in the end (and the reason I made my post) is that price becomes the real and overriding descriminator. And the unfortunate thing (and perhaps this is a true compliment to FF stuff) is that I have never found any used FF gear for sale, but I *have* found other new or used down products for sale for much less than what I would have paid new at a retail outlet. Its just part of my game. But my belief might not be shared by everyone, and I am sure there are people who swear their <FF,Marmot,TNF/> jacket is the absolute bomb.</edit>

Edited by Alex

Yeah, seriously Alex, good point.

Also, the flight jacket is sweet, no matter what you think. I managed to keep it dry for 5 days and it is a lot lighter than your equivilent jacket. FF shit rocks, but it is more expensive than "mainstream" brands.

I picked up a Flight jacket earlier this year and think it's an awesome jacket. It's essentially replaced my FF because it weighs less and is still quite warm (though not quite as warm as the Helios)

That being said there is something to be said for spending a few xtra bucks for something made locally rather than giving the same money to TNF for a jacket they paid $3 to have made overseas.

In the past the FF sale has had down jackets for really cheap. I'd imagine if past experience holds, in store prices on some specific items will be much less than the listed discounts.

Regarding down jackets in general: I have a FF volant that is super warm, and the pockets are possibly the greatest pockets ever. It is very well made, but often overkill for me.

I also have a moonstone lucid jacket ($150), which owing to it's lighter weight, gets considerably more use. For an all around 3 season alpine jacket, these new ultralight downs cant be beat. THey weigh nothing and pack so small I sometimes just hang em off my harness on shorter alpine climbs instead of carrying a full pack.

• 3 weeks later...