[TR] Dragontail- Backbone 9/24/2005

kurthicks

Climb: Dragontail-Backbone

Date of Climb: 9/24/2005

Trip Report:

After much debate, Matt (NYC007) and I decided to do Backbone in a day last Saturday. Most of the day consisted of us calling each other "Sally's" and commenting about how we would rather be spooning in the back of my Subaru instead of climbing.

Da Route (click for overlay)

3720backbone_ridge_IV_5_9-med.JPG

Matt following the offwidth. This pitch was much easier than expected. We both somewhat enjoyed climbing it! We hauled the packs on this pitch with our 60m rope (recommended).

3720backbone_004-med.jpg

Above the OW, we stayed just left of the crest, eventually coming to this roof. Matt lead up and right into the OW, which took us up to the "down and right 5.8 crack" that Nelson describes. Easier climbing took us to the Fin.

Fear the Fin

3720backbone_010-med.jpg

Then climb the Fin. Getting onto the Fin required some trundling onto Matt before we reached the end of the lower ledge--as marked with a fixed forged friend. We climbed the right hand line that Nelson describes. Our belay was located directly above my head in the notch.

3720backbone_015-med.jpg

At the notch, we climbed left of the crest, starting on upright flakes (2-4' tall, very obvious) and continuing on ledges and blocks to the second notch in the ridge. Very little loose rock was encountered. Here we crossed through and out onto a catwalk that took us up easy 5th to the summit scramble. We hit the summit plateau about 30 minutes before dark.

A long ways to go. Just above the glacier at dark.

3720backbone_017-med.jpg

We finally got back to the car at 12:50am, completing a 19:40 hour day.

Full size pics in my gallery

Gear Notes:

the new C4 camalot #5 is NOT large enough to protect the offwidth to the top.

a #2 big bro makes it a little less runout.

Bring ice tools to climb the WI that is forming from the glacier runoff.

Approach Notes:

twice in a week

The snow on the approach & descent is easily bypassed. No 'pons necessary.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your smiley face reminds me of this...

3720IMG_4298-med.JPG

edit: as for avoiding the loose rock up high-- just don't go down into the Third Couloir, stay high on the right side on obvious ledges until you hit the notch that has sand/dirt leading up to it.

Edited by wazzumountaineer