[TR] Moles, Shrews, and other fuzzy things- 9/24/2005

Lyger

Climb: Moles, Shrews, and other fuzzy things-

Date of Climb: 9/24/2005

Trip Report:

This weekend Gyselinck, my cousin, and I hiked up to the Rat Creek group to try our hand at a spot of “rock climbing.” While listening to Gyselinck telling us we were “almost there” for 3 hours, we were met by occasional rock fall caused by the herd of goats waiting for us to pee at Edwards Mesa.

After stopping for some macaroni and finding enough muddy water to fill up our bottles, we headed over to the Duolith where. I spent 10 minutes pulling out grass from a dirty crack onto Gyselinck on the way up to the South summit. From the south summit we made our way easily down and across to the false summit where Gyselinck started his mission of collecting as much webbing as possible from every pitch throughout the day.

Then onto the Shrew for a quick jog to the summit. Fun two-pitch climb where Gyselinck had to listen to me whine while he bravely sat at the belay.

Next we headed over to the North Face of the Mole. Gyselinck led up 2 pitches of excellent crack followed by one full length pitch of heavy swearing. After cleaning the two pieces he placed on the last pitch, we reached a blocky ledge and scrambled to summit. Looking over at the mesa and seeing my cousin surrounded by goats, we decided to head down.

After rapping the south face, getting the rope stuck, watching Gyselinck climb back up the south face, and rap down again, we hiked up to the mesa and back down Hook Creek.3 ½ hours after not finding the trail we made it, scratched up and bruised, back down to the car.

Perfect weather the whole day, and fun climbing. Pity the winter is coming just as I feel I am getting in decent shape! Sorry no photos, Gyselinck was saving the extra space in his pack for webbing.

Gear Notes:

0.4 - 4"

Approach Notes:

Hook Creek

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some Comments:

No Cook, we can't post photo's. The Mole is a secret, no one can know about it. Its mine, all mine, dont even think about going there. boxing_smiley.gif

I had promised that I wouldn't swear on this trip, but broke under pressure. Swearing is bad, but nescessary when scared. grin.gif Beckey says to climb 80 feet to a fork and to take the left fork to a ledge belay. We took the right fork. The thrid pitch wich Lyger is reffering to was a full 60m of dirty 5th, which I couldnt much pro, thus the swear words. All belays were hanging. Very fun climb, my favorite of the day.

I've been through Rat Creek, Hook Creek, and the Toketie Lake way. Not sure if I like Toketie or Hook Creek way better, but Rat creek just blows.

"Lyger is always right." If theres one thing I learned on this trip, always listen to the Lyger. Shes right about 99% of the time. (That means im right sometimes) I was trying to cross a patch of water ice, which she told me not to. I ended up falling 15 feet down a steep scree slope at a really fast speed. I now have a huge bruise on my moon.gif and lots of cuts on my arms.

Lyger's cousin is one tough guye to go all the way up there with a cold. Plus he carried the beers. bigdrink.gif

Lastly, Lyger didn't mention that she was always covered in flies because she stank so bad. wink.gif

All in all, the mole makes a nice outting. Lots of stuff to do there. Had a great time as well.

Bees Gyselinck, they were bees! Gyselinck also forgot to mention how on the way down the trail he lifted up his foot out in front of him, looked at it for a minute, and then smacked it REALLY hard with his trekking pole. Then looked around all embaressed to see if I had seen or not. Just a glutton for punishment eh?!

Rat would not be that bad if you knew exactly where to go.

A friend and I went up there this weekend and thrashed through windfall down low on the way up.

On the way down, we avoided almost all boulder fields and windfall.

Basically, stay left and look for the very occasional cairn.

bwrts, to answer your question, Tony Bentley's picture of the n. face wouldn't show anything if I drew a line up it. I would need a more head on view. We stayed on the far right of his picture going up.

Anyways, I think ive logged on to cc.com about 20 times in the last 5 minutes, im making an effort not to come on for another hour. Damn Im a bored looser. I dont want to be like Dru! grin.gif

Nice job Lyger, Gyselinck, and Cuz. bigdrink.gifGood TR, I laughed-I cried! damn I love that frikkin Mole thing and the whole frikkin rat creek group thing!! Too bad it's so ugly up there. I really wish I could have been there with you! But, I did think of

"the other fuzzy thing"; our poor little rabbit Napoleon, who has recently departed this cruel world.<--thanks Liz and Craig for doing the civil duty. wave.gif