Chouinard attacks Bush

darstog

I've finally fallen into the trap and am making my first post in Spray. Squid, are you proud?

Just glancing through Alpinist 12 and there's a brief interview with Yvon Chouinard on the last page. He mentions that Bush doesn't believe in global warming because of his conviction that the earth is only 6-8k years-old. Part of me wants Chouinard to be right because, you know, we all like that hippy Patagucci lifestyle stuff, but I'm feeling like I want him to be dead wrong. Does anybody have any information to substantiate this claim?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you're right, that the W does believe (or at least won't deny believing) that the earth is less than 6,000 years old. That's amazing. Did Cher say it best when she sang, "If I could turn back time..."

Does this absolutely amaze anybody else? Anybody who, say, has any belief in SCIENCE!!! Let's all hear one for Christian Fundamentalism.

It's funny; people who believe this trust science enough to get on a plane or drive in a car, to engineer their food, or treat them at a hospital, but they think that this existence is only 6,000 years old?!

There is a rocky headland on this island where you can see the gouges and grooves the glaciers wore during the last ice age, which ENDED some 13,000 years ago! What about all of the dinosaur bones and evolution. Our close genetic simlarities to other animals?!???

yellaf.gif

Faith is the mind killer

Seems one need only step outside at night and ponder the stars to see that the universe is more than 6000 years old. How long does it take for the light from those stars to arrive at earth anyway?

Anyway, its a silly thing...6,000 years... Its just a shame that such a notion could come into play in this day and age.

If you think biological faith-based science is funny you should see the faith-based geology. yelrotflmao.gif

It seems that the Biblical flood pushed continents, thousands of miles in a single day or two. Sort of like that old episode of GI Joe where the COBRA satellite makes all the continents float northwards and join up at the North Pole.

While the language of apocalyptic Christianity is absent from George W. Bush's speeches, he has proven eager to work with apocalyptics - a point of pride for Upton. "We're in constant contact with the White House," he boasts. "I'm briefed at least once a week via telephone briefings...I was there about two weeks ago...At that time we met with the president
Apocalyptic Christianity provides a perfect explanation for Bush's policies. It explains why we are running this country "like there is no tomorrow".

The only reason the fundies do not attack quantum theory is because they cannot understand it...

Oh how true this is. Shit, there are some people I work around that have serious issues with the electron probability density wavefunction. What seems to escape them is the distinction physicists make between "model" and "truth". Every non-crackpot physicist I know goes to great pains to keep the two seperate.

Just because we don't understand "it" doesn't make it "God"

We just don't understand "it" yet. Some people need a better hobby. There's nothing wrong with not understanding something. Maybe it's not the answer that's wrong, maybe it's the question. Now everybody GET ALONG and let's all drink a beer.

bigdrink.gif

I've been thinking lately that there is room for intelligent design teaching in the classrooms. It won't take any time away from teaching evidence-based evolution, because it takes about 30 seconds to teach ID: "On the other hand, it could've all been created by some other thing. Instantly." End of lesson.