Standard Rack for Frenchman's Coulee

I'll be there in 2 weeks, and me and my partner are still curious about what to bring for gear, we'll prob end up bringing most our racks, but i'm trying to peice info together from what i've read.

and if someone can confirm that only one 60m rope is required, or are there any that need two for a rap?

I've read that most climbers don't bother with nuts at all in coulee?why?is there reason or what?i'm alil confused on this one

bewteen me and my partner our rack:

30 QDs (bring 12 i'm guessing)

12 trad Draws (ALL)

doubles of 3CUs 1/4 to 1 1/2 (half or all)

double camalots #.5 to #3 (with 4 of #2) (bringing most)

single of C4 #4 and C4 #5, single camalot #3.5 (bring all)

3 sets of nuts (bring one)

11 tricams (bring a set)

2 sets of hexs (bring half of one, all biggies)

tech nuts/ball nuts (heard they good, no idea)

one #4 big bro (my partner will pro buy himself one)

i'm curious if we may need some more big pro.....we'll prob be climbing nothing harder than 10a trad lines ..i'm still recovering from a hand injury and my partner has been stuck in the rockies without a belayer.

any beta would be awesome!i'll be there from the 6th to the 10th of oct

cheers bigdrink.gif

Edited by tattooed_climber

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if your joking or what but what you've listed is about 2-3 times as much as I've ever brought to frenchmans. I've climbed there fine with singles of nuts, singles of cams tiny thru big, oh, and a couple of med-big hexes (I never use 'cause they make that noise) and I've never had a problem. I see you've got some long runners... I think you've fine. Just my opinion. And I'm not a ripper climber.

I'd guess the "no nuts at Vantage" thing is because the vantage basalt is so "slick" or flat that nuts are pretty easy to dislodge. Maybe too because the cracks tend to be more parallel than granite cracks... I'd still bring them.

Probably the biggestthing you need to start worrying about is bringing a shit load of wood or a propane heater. It was pretty cold this morning in Entiat.

I use nuts all the time at Vantage. The cracks don't always take nuts well, but sometimes they are the best option. Slider nuts are quite valuable on some routes where the cracks are very parallel sided, for example Little Book of Lies (Zig Zag Wall). Today I used two in an anchor on a pillar top.

Usually a single set of cams will suffice, but there is a huge variety of routes. The majority have cracks that increase in size as you go up, so that a single set works fine. Occasionally you will find routes that have several of the same piece, for example George and Martha which requires doubles in the middle sizes.

So bring both of your racks and then put together what is most appropriate for the particular climb. Often, but not always, the guide will tell you if a climb uses a large number of one size, for example Blue Autumn requires several in the six inch range.

Regarding tricams, I use them and love them, but I seldom place them at Vantage. Leave them behind. Hexes can be valuable, depending on the route. Most of the time, I leave them on the ground, but some route take hexes better than cams, where the cracks flare inward, for example Steel Grill or Crossing the Threshold.

One more thing. I like Aliens. The softer metal seems to really hold well in basalt. I carry Blue through Orange.

Edited by catbirdseat

dont take any spray personally about size of rack. You are craggin. it is SMART to take gear. Just throw on what you think you need outa your stuff. bragin about the small rack you take craggin seems to imply a biological defeciency of some sort.

BTW, the coulee is not a destination area. It s a desperation area. there is a difference.

• 3 weeks later...