Newbies are welcome at the rope up in Leavenworth

Bug

Once in awhile, it pops up that some people feel like CC.COM is an exclusive club of super cool climbers like me and that only super cool climbers like me should go to the rope up. None of that is true.

Well, I may be a super cool climber to my daughters but at 6 & 9, it is still OK to think of your dad as cool. My real fate is just around the corner.

Anyway, I will not have my daughters at the ropeup and will be offering to take any interested parties climbing "trad".

I will have a monster rack of somewhat dated gear, two ropes and a couple extra harnesses. You will have to have your own climbing shoes. A helmet is a really good idea. A bicycle helmet will work.

I would like to do the R&D route which is about 5 pitches of really easy climbing. If you do not freak out in high places, you will love this route. I will set bomber anchors and make sure everyone is clipped in safely. This is a good safe way to learn how to do multi-pitch climbs on a classic Icicle route right off the road.

If you do not know about it, the ropeup is Sept 30-Oct 2 in Icicle canyon near Leavenworth. The group site at BridgeCreek has been reserved. For more information see the Rope up thread on the Events forum (http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=events&Number=492574&page=0&fpart=1).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on, Bug. In past years, I've taken folks up their first multipitch climbs but I won't be able to do that this year. Doxey is going to be setting some top ropes for new climbers as well - somebody could get the full on cc.com immersion if you take one of Doxey's graduates up R&D and then suggest they post a trip report with full-on epic tales of greatness.

Oh -- by the way, the group campsite is going to be at Eightmile Campground this year because Bridge Creek was already reserved.