summit picture narrows

LUCKY

From the East tower #11 500 hundred feet up new tocoma narrows bridge.see attachment cause I can't figger out how to put it in the tread rolleyes.gif

HARD phuk'n work ,21 floors of stairs up to get out, no breaks, I was phuk'n beat today. pitty.gif

LUCKY wave.gif

501085-narrowsreduced.JPG

edited to add image to post

501085-narrowsreduced.JPG.5ec0ae7261fdba78eceeaec9ac481651.JPG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I don't quite understand is why they tore out the towers on the original bridge instead of reusing them. The problem with "Galloping Gurdy" was that its bluff sides caught the wind and it oscillated harmonically with increasing amplitude until it failed. That wasn't a function of the tower design. Perhaps the towers were damaged or it was not certain whether they were or not?

Because that is what we do in America. Tear the old sheit down and replace with modern ("better") designs. Usually because technology has advanced in materials, but also because we need new projects to keep the machine running. Having a catastrophe is sometimes the only way big business can kick start a new project. Perhaps this will be the only way to fix the viaduct...when it falls down from an earthquake or on its own.

What I don't quite understand is why they tore out the towers on the original bridge instead of reusing them. The problem with "Galloping Gurdy" was that its bluff sides caught the wind and it oscillated harmonically with increasing amplitude until it failed. That wasn't a function of the tower design. Perhaps the towers were damaged or it was not certain whether they were or not?

From what I have read, there was also a problem with the narrowness of the roadbed being partly to blame for the oscillation. Wider roadbed would require wider space within the tower.

http://www.nwrain.com/~newtsuit/recoveries/narrows/narrows.htm

Interesting stuff. CBS - your answer is about four pages forward. The new bridge was heavier and had wider spacing of the main support cables - thus the need for new towers.

-kurt

• 4 weeks later...

RE: New suspension bridge -

Design should be recognized as an art. Pushing beyond known boundries can carry risks. Note the sides of the existing bridge are open trusses that allow wind to pass through, [rather than a buff face] and not permit a "shedding vortex" situation that led to increasing torsional occiliations, and then galloping. The truss work under the existing bridge is sort of box-like so it is not so prone to twist due to aero-elasticity effects from wind.

Many highly technical references in the UW Engineering Library for those who wish to examine the nitty-gritty details regarding the collapse.

PS I do not go on the Seattle Viaduct and have advised my friends to like-wise avoid the damaged structure.

The Alaska Way Viaduct is a time bomb just waiting to kill people. God willing when it DOES collapse (not if...when) it will happen in the middle of the night and not rush hour. When it does kill people, it could arguably be a case of criminal neglect. I think the building codes in Burma are better than the ones that thing are built to. hahaha.gif

PS I do not go on the Seattle Viaduct and have advised my friends to like-wise avoid the damaged structure.

Pass the gas tax and let's build a new one thumbs_up.gif

How are any of you going to feel if a friend, co worker or relative gets crushed by the old one, if you vote the gas tax down?

The price of gas is sooo high right now from the oil barons making windfall(and that is a pun) $$$$$$$$ thumbs_down.gif

• 1 month later...