Yet another hurricane thread...

ChrisT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in god's name does anybody choose to live on the gulf coast? Even when you aren't getting hit with hurricanes it's gross and muggy. pitty.gif

Not that I'd want to live down there, but wait till a volcanoe blows or big earthquake and people will be asking why we live here in the rain.

Well, how often do we get a bad erruption? Every few hundred years? Not to mention they usually come with a good amount of warning. Throw in a reasonably bad earthquake, every what 20 years? And we get smoke, oh once every 21 years? How many hurricanes and tropical storms have hit Florida and the gulf coast? Lets see, were up to "R" this year so 17? Lets see, lots of damage every 21 years, or lots of damage every 3 weeks (averaged over a year), not to mention one of the worst earthquakes in recorded history was in New Madrid Missouri.... you do the math!

Well, how often do we get a bad erruption? Every few hundred years? Not to mention they usually come with a good amount of warning. Throw in a reasonably bad earthquake, every what 20 years? And we get smoke, oh once every 21 years? How many hurricanes and tropical storms have hit Florida and the gulf coast? Lets see, were up to "R" this year so 17? Lets see, lots of damage every 21 years, or lots of damage every 3 weeks (averaged over a year), not to mention one of the worst earthquakes in recorded history was in New Madrid Missouri.... you do the math!

Missouri isn't near the gulf coast. Give an engineer a few facts and he'll connect them anydamn way he pleases. Insert Hoover joke here.

“By choosing an avowed lesbian for this national event, these Hollywood elites have clearly invited God’s wrath,” Robertson said on “The 700 Club” on Sunday. “Is it any surprise that the Almighty chose to strike at Miss Degeneres’ hometown?”

Robertson also noted that the last time Degeneres hosted the Emmys, in 2001, the September 11 terrorism attacks took place shortly before the ceremony.

“This is the second time in a row that God has invoked a disaster shortly before lesbian Ellen Degeneres hosted the Emmy Awards,” Robertson explained to his approximately one million viewers. “America is waiting for her to apologize for the death and destruction that her sexual deviance has brought onto this great nation.”

You'd think Godman could be a little more accurate. Maybe a pinpoint lightening bolt to take out Miss Ellen? But noooooo....he has to use these messy hurricanes. When are those Hollywood elite going to learn that they have all our lives in the balance?

isgodmandead.gif

Compare the photo in ChrisT's original post, and the one just above. That fucker has gotten big in the last 2 days, even after allowing for the difference in photo scale...

Rita is at once beautiful, and not. I hope people are heeding the evac warnings this time around.

Heard on NPR this morning that traffic is backed up 100 miles leaving Houston. I sat through a hurricane there over 20 years ago, but it was nothing like this one's gonna be...

anyone else here have family evacuating? I've got a sister and her fam leaving houston and my folks leaving their house on the coast... hope the traffic isn't too bad and hope their houses are there when they get back...

kind of hit close to home talking to my dad, when he said he's collecting memorabilia for the drive out.

bigdrink.gif here's to 'em!

underworld,

Man, that bites. I know I must be stating the obvious here, but try to keep in continuos cell phone contact with them. Maybe pre-arrange for periodic call-ins so that they can turn off the phone and hence extend the life of their batts.

Good luck to your family.

From Moveon.com:

If you are being evacuated from your home due to hurricane Rita and need a place to stay, please visit HurricaneHousing.org or call 1-800-638-4559.

Right now, there are over 265,000 spaces being offered to evacuees all over the country. We estimate that between 15,000 and 30,000 hurricane Katrina evacuees have already found temporary housing through the site.

By all reports, hurricane Rita threatens to be devastating—and after Katrina, we'd hate to see anyone take a chance staying in the path of the storm for lack of another place to go. If you're in the affected area and need a safe place to stay, please take advantage of this resource.

-– Noah, Justin, Carrie, Micayla and the MoveOn.org Civic Action Team

Wednesday, September 21st, 2005

Missouri isn't near the gulf coast. Give an engineer a few facts and he'll connect them anydamn way he pleases. Insert Hoover joke here.

The point is that hurricanes hit the SE every year, and you don't need to wait long for guaranteed disaster.

Earthquakes are rarer, and don't seem to be as devastating - even the worst ones. Do you remember anything like the chaos we saw in New Orleans after the '89 quake in the bay area or the Northridge quake on SoCal? No. I lived in California for 23 years, and lived through multiple quakes over 6.0 - no big deal. I would not be able to say the same for clas 3, 4, or 5 hurricanes, now would I? California with its earthquakes is often cited as being just as crazy a place to live as the SE with their hurricanes, but this just isn't true. And, the worst earthquakes will occur in the midwest, not the west coast, something about the geology, as I recall. I believe that was what Selkirk was referring to.

Moreover, to cite volcanoes as an equivalent risk for those in the PNW is ludicrous. Mt. Saint Helens is the only eruption that occurred in most of our lifetimes (compared to how many hurricanes in the SE?), and the loss of life, and damage to populated areas was minimal. If Rainier were to erupt, it would be much more devastating, but the likelihood is very low, and the event would be more likely singular - unlike the repeating, seasonal hurricanes that strike the SE.