WTB: Ice tools

astrov

Let's see, how to phrase this without invoking the controversial ice tool / alpine tool dichotomy ... I am looking for some tools to use on New England ice falls and on alpine routes out here later in the year. I would like to get Grivel Alp Wings, Charlet Moser Quarks, BD Cobras, or some other fancy tool. (However I would consider BD Rages, the bent shaft Prophet, Viper, or Axar, etc.) I am considering getting some Alp Wings for $100 each. Please make me an offer if you have something you're even thinking about selling ...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those guys take like 2 months to just process your order. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

How much for a pair of aztar's (with a bunch of extra picks)?

I have only fondeled the aztar's at hyperspud, so I may be talking out my ass, but I do have alp wings, so here is my $.02 . Though they are both marketed similarly as a crossover between waterice tools and alpine tools, they have a different feel to them. Alp wings are long and a bit heavier (thought pretty light as well). This gives them a more 'throw of a ball' type swing, whereas the aztars (and, I am told, most CM tools) have a easy 'flick of the wrist' type swing.

Also, the Grivel tool have a high degree of modularity. The adze/hammer can be remove (it's fixed on aztars, I believe) and come with a removable 'horn', as well as another finger rest you can buy from Grivel. With these toys you can use the Alp wing to drytool pretty well. The CM lacks some of that modularity.

Anyways both are probably excellent tools, just get a deal, use the $ you save to buy some overpriced gas, and get out and climb more.

Edited by Jake_Gano