Boston Basin Permits

Zenolith

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think NPS backcountry rangers can issue you a ticket, forgot how much it is, but it is pretty spendy.

Most de-Forest service ranger dudes have no law enforcemnet prowess, and can't give you anything but a "warning" if you don't have a permit.

so since you're going to NPS land, I'd try to stay away from all populated areas/trail corridors.

Of the four times I went up there last summer I always managed to get a permit. If your going for the weekend, head up Friday afternoon and get a permit before the ranger station closes at 7 (??) PM. Midweek probably won't be a problem.

Also if you call before leaving they'll tell you how many permits they have left.

And if you choose to sneak in, nice hidden camp sites can be found above the high camp or towards the Quien Sabe

they call in your information, name, address, etc and run it against the law enforcment databases to see if you've got some mad criminal not trail pass payin record.

i've heard some crazy shit get relayed over the waves when rangers run peoples info. so if you give them bogus info, you might get fahqed

i find that if you get caught, the best thing to do is play quasi-dumb, but be cooperative. rangers get pissed if they find out your lying to them, and then they fine you for everything possible [Mad][Mad]

Last Labor Day weekend I traveled from Boise to Boston Basin for W Ridge. It was raining and shitty and we thought we would have no trouble at Marblemount getting a permit- Wrong!. We said "fuhk it" and went up to the Cascade Rd trailhead and lo and behold- people were scurrying out because of the weather. We scored a permit from another party and went up to the high camp- female ranger nazi stopped us and we explained our sorry and hurtin plight. She ticketed one person because she felt so bad for us- $50 was a non issue compared to the 10 hour drive. They seriously need to fix that permit system. We honestly did not think anything about it since we got the permit from another party that bailed off

A few years back a couple friends and I went up there and did the west ridge. My buddy Tom had stopped in marblemount on wed. to see if he could score a permit. When told that he hd to be within 24hrs to get the permit he said we were going to be up ther thurs-sun. I never heard Tom talk such bull-shit as when the rangers interrogated us at our Boston Basin camp. after several calls back to HQ, they finally told us that everything appearted to be in order. After summitting Tom found a blue rope bag in the couloir with some initials on it. What does NPS-NOCA mean? I store my tent in that handy bag.

ralph

We were up there last weekend. They are still doing self-registration at Marblemount. And it's a good thing that we registered. Ranger Bob was waiting for us right as we entered the basin (e.g. as we exited the trees) with his Glock on one hip and a handful of blue bags. He checked our permit, lectured us on the evils of "smearing" and handed us some blue bags.

He was a nice enough guy - but it didn't look like he would cut any slack. We met some BC skiers doing a five day traverse and told them about the ranger; they moved on quickly since they probably didn't want to carry five days worth of blue bags!

Zeno,

When I went up there a few years ago ('99?), if you came by the RS after hours you could self-permit if you were going to camp in the less popular areas, like not in Boston Basin, like over in Boston Glacier area. The next night you could sleep anywhere you pleased (i.e. Boston Basin). So we just made it a point to come by the Ranger Station after hours.

We left the cars at 6:20am and were at our camp at 6300' by about 10:20 - so about 4 hours cars to camp. Overnight packs, moderate pace - the approach is still very doable.

I've heard that the NPS is not planning to repair the damage to the trail. There's a swath about 150' wide between the first and second of the major creek crossings that is probably the worst section; everything else isn't too bad - not if you're used to bushwacking.

The Cascade River Road is slated to open July 20 or so. The road crew is making decent progress. As far as the route up Boston Basin - it's a route not a trail and doesn't receive regular maintenance. The road is open to mp 21, the second gate.

"Ranger Bob"