Another digital camera question #*&%

Harry_Pi

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mattp!

Reading the digital camera reviews and the price($285+tax) led me toward the Sony Cyber Shot:

Exceptional battery life and the ability to manually control aperture and shutter speed on a lightweight, 7 meg, compact, automatic, point and shoot.

I'm no expert when it comes to taking pictures, but this camera might be fun to experiment with.

The Nikon Coolpix 7900 also received excellent reviews.

Thank you for allow me to post.

I have the Snoy cybershot P-150, a very small 7meg camera that takes very nice pictures. It has good user controls but leaves a little to be desired in low light. One problem I've noticed is that being so small it is often difficult to hold the camera steady while taking pictures resulting in blurred images. Good luck with your search.

I've got the Nikon 7900. Does very well in good light. Nice long distance landscapes and up close shots of people. For the price it really ought to allow manual control of the aperture. The pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdent since April or so are from the Nikon.

The size is about perfect. Easy to control and also easy to stuff away without worrying about it.

I think there are two different fundmentals at odds here: features vs. pocket size. I'm unclear what the advantage of having control of the aperture is if we are talking about a pocket camera as I've been perfectly happy with just being able to select +1 or -1 Fstop or "backlight" or "slow" or whatever. For active climbing shots, most of us want something that fits in a shirt pocket.

Yes, I understand how one can manipulate deapth of field and contrast and etc. with full manual control, but I'm thinking that, for a climbing camera (pocket sized), qualities like good low-light capability, wide(er) angle zoom in addition to at least 3x optical, and waterproofness would be more important.

If you want a real camera, that is a different story. But if you are hiking around looking for shots and setting up for them and stuff like that and really thinking about aperture settings, you are probalby packing a tripod and god knows what else anyway.

Thoughts? Models?

I've been leaning toward that one, but I'm concerned about the performance in low light. Some reviews say the image quality is poor even in good light, but I think it is generally not thought a good performer in low light. Red eye is also a stated problem, but of course that is easily correctable with photoshop.

I've been leaning toward that one, but I'm concerned about the performance in low light. Some reviews say the image quality is poor even in good light, but I think it is generally not thought a good performer in low light.

I've read the same. But I was looking for an idiotproof point and shoot (my last - Konica Dimage Xg - only survived one year before dying of infiltration), and this fits the bill. I'd rather have sub optimal pics than no pics.

I used to carry around a full sized camera for the same reason, and I think it is lots of fun to chase after really good pictures but most partners don't want to wait around while I fool with the camera and, for ski photos and climbing photos on the fly, a point and shoot pocket camera can't be beat.

My last digital died on a wet weekend when I was fairly careful to keep it in a ziplock. Funny, though, I opened it up and took the battery and card out and kept testing it and it magically popped back to life about three months later.

Good point mattp. I carry my SLR in a chest harness case. Great for Glacier or Alpine climbs. I can pull it out quick, shoot and put it back fast. Stays in my pack on technical climbs though.

I had a 35mm SLR that I dunked in the North Fork Sauk a few years ago. Called the camera shop the next day and they gave me a couple of options. Bring it in or open it up under a 60 watt light bulb for a few days. I chose the cheap way out. It worked! thumbs_up.gif

The lenses I had to replace though.

When it comes to digital, anything over 5-6 megapix is overkill unless your printing posters.

Yes, the chest harnes is the way to go if you have a full sized camera and are not on technical ground. And theere's a lot to be said for the old SLR's -- I had one that withstood being dropped and didn't seem to mind the rain and worked GREAT until it got stolen afer I'd had it for fifteen years. I bet there isn't a modern digital that will ever match that.

I have the Option WP. A couple downsides: no viewfinder, which sucks on sunny days, and no lens cover, so be prepared to occasionally de-smudge the lens. On the plus, it is nice to not have to worry about it getting wet. It takes pretty nice quality videos too. I have a 1 gig card (<$60 on Newegg.com) and can get close to 30 minutes of video on it. No complaints about picture quality - but I am no auteur.

• 4 weeks later...

The best one I have seen for price and performance is the

Casio Exilim ex-Z750

a lot of manual options, a really big scree, a viewfinder, and a docking bay for transfering pics to the comp, and a recharger for the battery.

Good to great battery life too.

It comes in shiny, and a dark grey.

The nikon 7900 is good too, due to the grip, but for quality go Casio.