hold-making: ingredients for low density?

ashw_justin

I've made a few holds for my home wall by mixing silica sand and polyester resin. They turn out ok but something is not the same compared to commercial holds. That something is that commercial holds are lower-density, most likely by virtue of some kind of foaming agent added to the mixture, which allows for gas bubbles to be trapped inside the resin. The result is more texture and a lighter hold.

Does anyone know what is used as a foaming agent, and how?

Edited by ashw_justin

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try sugar and champagne yeast.

I wouldn't dare subject a living organism to the harsh chemicals involved in this process. That would totally violate my principles as a level 6 vegan.

I'm trying to think of stuff that can be mixed to generate non-toxic gas, forcefully. Unfortunately we never learn this kind of stuff in chemistry, too dangerous or something. tongue.gif

Send a PM to AlpineDave. He's pretty adept at making homemade holds, and I'm reasonably sure he's thought of this already. He posted a thread some time ago about making holds, and he linked to his website for much more beta than I cared to read. It's just a suggestion... YMMV

You could try sodium bicarbonate and acetic acid - or any other acid for CO2 generation - but the presence of one or both reagents would probably inhibit the polymerization reaction to some extent.

I think that most other reactions that yield a bunch of gas generate stuff that that's either toxic or explosive or both.

Where is CBS on this one....

If you could get your hand on some small polystyrene beads you could use them as filler. Applying acetone to the surface would rapidly dissolve the beads on the surface - after which you could just live with the voids and treat them as part of the texture or "paint" the surface with a sand/resin mixture to fill in the voids.

If you could get your hand on some small polystyrene beads you could use them as filler. Applying acetone to the surface would rapidly dissolve the beads on the surface - after which you could just live with the voids and treat them as part of the texture or "paint" the surface with a sand/resin mixture to fill in the voids.

Ah but tiny voids are perfect for texture, actually that's more important than the weight savings... hmm that's crafty. I guess I would need them to stand up to the resin chemicals for about 30-60 minutes... testing is in order...

heh-heh... no, I just picked up a huge bag (100 lbs?) of genuine fine-grit silica sand for $7. Sounds like a trip to the boat shop is in order then?

I'm not familiar enough with the stuff to know how different the materials are (and a quick search didn't turn up good information). http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to;ID;,Epoxy...Adhesives,Fillers.and.Thickeners

lists a bunch of the different types. The microballons may work.

"A very common thickening agent Cabisil or Colloidal Silica, although pretty strong, is really not best for structural support. Use this when you need to fill for contouring.

West Systems makes a Microlight Filler material that is designed for use as an easy-to-sand/shape filler. It makes a mixture that looks like a chocolate shake and when mixed really thick, can create a formable gel. Great for filets!"

The microlight filler is also known as Microballoons. I believe Aerogel is another name for the lightest of colloidal silicas.