Shasta in winter?

thatcher

I am thinking about climbing Mt. Shasta in either november or december. It is the only time i have avaliable for it. Any tips on that mountain as a winter climb? whats the easiest/safest route in winter? how unpredictable is the weather? what gear suggested. I've never done a winter climb, but ive done some of the washington and oregon volcanos in the summer.

So just let me know any tips or advice you might have that can help me plan my trip.

Thanks,

tk

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

assuming the north side access is closed by then, you will be limited to the south side.

The ridges are safe since they offer little danger of major avalanches. Sergeants Ridge is easier and a bit longer, Casaval Ridge is more direct and slightly more difficult (pinnacles to traverse, steeper headwall) but quite reasonable for an experienced mountaineer.

These would be much more enjoyable with a coating of snow to consolidate the choss.

The weather is fairly predictable in that area. Follow your forecasts, and no matter what expect high winds (60+mph). I've done a one-day ascent in March in perfect conditions and it still takes a while, so also plan on staying overnight unless you're in excellent shape. Skis could be a way to bail off quick but the ridges don't offer easy skiing.