[TR] Boulder Creek Peaks Traverse- 9/1/2005

PVD

Climb: Boulder Creek Peaks Traverse-

Date of Climb: 9/1/2005

Trip Report:

Admiring Mt. Olympus through the photos of recent trip reports, I decided to get a closer look at the mountain before my six-week break from work came to an end. The peak has appeared as little more than a distant, white blob on my previous Olympic climbs -- all on the east side of the range. So I set out to climb something in the northwest corner of the National Park.

My too-ambitious initial plan was to hike to Boulder Lake, then climb Boulder Peak, Everett Peak, Mt. Appleton and Peak 6100 on my way to Appleton Pass. Then I would traverse to Cat Basin, and climb Cat Peak and Mt. Carrie. But a late departure from Portland and a six-hour drive that got me to the Appleton Pass trailhead at 5 p.m. made me cut out Cat and Carrie.

The hike to Boulder Lake is quick and painless -- the six miles took only a couple of hours. The beautiful lake has several decent campsites, a bear wire and one of those weird, open-air toilets.

The next morning, I headed for meadowy Boulder Peak, which towers 1,300 feet above the lake. I hiked the left side of the lake, then headed up an inviting talus gully that led to one of those sketchy impasses -- steep wet heather, loose rock, cliff.

I descended and climbed a less-direct line to the peak’s left ridge. I traversed over heather and talus, sometimes on good game trails, crossed beneath the summit to the west ridge and climbed wet meadow to the top. The summit offers good views of Mt. Olympus, the Bailey Range and Mt. Appleton. The scramble (minus any route-finding difficulties) takes about an hour from the lake.

I returned to camp, packed up and hiked a faint path on the far left side of the Boulder ridge. The trail faded, and I descended through fairly open forest to the stream that connects Upper and Lower Three Horse Lakes, where my route-finding skills failed me. I mistook the peak west of Everett Peak for Everett, climbed through the creek to dried-up Upper Three Horse Lake (with lots of bear prints in the mud), and ascended over steep talus and scree and through brush to the summit of this other peak -- which turned out to be 10 times tougher than the stroll up Everett.

I realized my bone-headed error at the summit, and made my way over a ridge to the open, alpine terrain described in the Olympic Climber’s Guide. This led easily to the pass west of Everett Peak and a cool view of the north face of Mt. Appleton above stunning Blue Lake.

I quickly hiked to the Everett summit, where there’s a register. This peak is a very short hike from the pass with a tiny rock scramble at the partially wooded top. I hiked down to Blue Lake, where I rested and rehydrated. I should have camped at this beautiful spot, as it was getting late thanks to my afternoon start and three-hour detour, but I still thought I could climb Mt. Appleton and descend to the Appleton Pass Trail before nightfall.

I hiked around Blue Lake and up to aqua-colored Mud Lake, just below the north face of Appleton. The area above Blue Lake is surprisingly stark -- very alpine. I climbed toward a cirque over pleasant slabs that soon were replaced by steep scree. The 30-degree permanent snowfield mentioned in the climber’s guide was there, but pretty meager and easily avoided. I veered left and, with a straightforward ridge scramble, reached the summit and good views of Mt. Carrie and Mt. Fairchild. I caught just a glimpse of Olympus through the fog that was quickly rolling in.

Recalling my unplanned bivy in thick fog on Mt. Lincoln a year ago, I did not loiter on the ridge. The descent toward Boulder Creek down steep meadow and loose rock on the east side of the ridge was slow with a full pack, and I realized I would not reach trail by dark. So I headed for a rocky bench with a tarn below Peak 6,100 -- south of Appleton -- that I had spotted from the ridge. I found more bear prints in the mud around this tarn.

In the morning, I traversed back north, with some Class 2/3 bushwacking over and around minor cliffs and gullies, then headed down. I descended in a rocky, minor stream to bypass a stand of slide alder, then emerged on the stream’s left side in time to avoid a waterfall above Boulder Creek. I must have hit the trail around 3,800 feet, and hiked to the pass.

I had neither the time nor the energy to climb Mt. Carrie, so I decided to walk the ridge to check out the Cat Basin way trail and climb Peak 6,100 from the pass. The easy Class 2 ascent of Peak 6,100 took about an hour up from the pass. A rough climber’s path leads to the summit along a narrow ridge, with a little exposure in a couple of spots. At the top, I was rewarded with even better views of the Baileys and Olympus.

I completed the loop the next morning, hiking out the 8-mile Appleton Pass Trail, and drove to Port Townsend to meet my girlfriend.

I managed to stretch this trip over parts of four days (three easy, one grueling) due to the long drive, my original plans and the scheduled meeting with my girlfriend, but this traverse really is a two-day trip.

All of these modest peaks, except Everett, were Class 2, but it’s a pretty strenuous trip with a full pack.

The photos: Mt. Appleton and Blue Lake; Appleton's north face; The Baileys from Appleton summit; Deer near Appleton Pass

8570015_15-med.JPG8570002_02-med.JPG8570009_09-med.JPG8570011_11-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

Brought ice axe and helmet, but didn't really need either

Edited by PVD

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PhilU, I climbed from the N. Fork Skok Trail. The mt. lincoln way trail leaves the Skok about 2 miles from staircase. It was easy to follow, though I gather it is not maintained. Then you have to climb through and over a lot of tedious burn debris. There was some flagging up there when I climbed (Aug of 04). As I recall, you follow a moderate ridge from there to the summit block -- a short bit of Class 3 and really the only rock climbing on the route. I left too late, and fog and light rain rolled in on me. With the poor visibility, I got off-route on the descent. After a couple of rough slides/falls on wet rock and grass, I decided not to continue by headlamp and took a seat when it got dark. Hiked out in the morning.

I'd say this would be a better trip when deep snowpack covers the burn debris -- and if you don't start the climb at 1 p.m. Oh, and if you can see for more than four feet when you arrive at the summit.

I think it took me about five hours from staircase to the top.