The boiling point.

fear_and_greed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rest my case.

Open your eyes and look around you. People volunteer for things they believe in. They start organizations that succeed in helping groups they wish to help. People take time after work to be a Big Brother or Big Sister. They donate money, withhold money from companies they don't want to support, invest in socially responsible funds, start magazines, and plant grassroots movements just to name a few. They vote with their actions, with their money, with their words--not just with a piece of paper that doesn't count for shit anyways.

Good examples. That's why I asked. "The vote with your dollar" is a very good example. Government often works with these organizations and is often influenced by them. I like that example.

People often like this example. I think that's because it requires significantly less effort than any of the others.

Sure lobbying influences. BUT WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT LOBBY? If you do nothing, or another person does nothing, then you and they acquiesce that the lobby way of influencing government is acceptable.

I must say you've pegged the inanometer. Lobbying, at it's most basic, is simply telling a representative your views on an issue. When you or I write to our representative we are lobbying them. Lobbyists are professionals at telling congress what someone wants. They understand the landscape, which politicians would be most interested in hearing about an issue and who not to waste their time with, and are better at it than you or I. Politicians often listen better with campaign donations - a market force at work. If you donate you'll experience this effect as well.

Listening to people bemoan the absence of revolutionary sentiment in this society - because the average person is too well off, of all things - is rather like listening to a pasty, overweight, staff-wielding, mead-chugging technogeek at a Renaissance Fest weep all over his his ersatz armor on account of the cruel fate that landed him in the modern world, thus depriving him of his trusty steed, his squire, estate, his fair damsel, and his noble crusade.

Of course, the reality is, that had he survived childbirth and not been orphaned in the process, gone onto win the immune-system lottery and made it through several bouts of plague, dysentary, and worked out some kind of a long-lasting symbiosis will all manner of parasites, managed not to succumb to the odd famine or other catastrophe - the lot in life that awaited him would be something much more along the lines of "toothless, illiterate, malnourished, chamber-pot-bearer" for the said knight.

Unfortunately, everyone who gets misty eyed when fantasizing the next revolution tends to be looking through the same distorted prism. This could probably be remedied by reading up on what actually happened in the course of the "real" revolutions that have occured over the past couple of centuries - but that's not likely to happen. So I'll summarize the plot for you - at best you'll play Trotsky to someone else's Stalin, and on average - you are much likely to contemplate the glories of the revolution from the gulag or from beneath the turf.

Carry on...

Listening to people bemoan the absence of revolutionary sentiment in this society - because the average person is too well off, of all things - is rather like listening to a pasty, overweight, staff-wielding, mead-chugging technogeek at a Renaissance Fest weep all over his his ersatz armor on account of the cruel fate that landed him in the modern world, thus depriving him of his trusty steed, his squire, estate, his fair damsel, and his noble crusade.

Of course, the reality is, that had he survived childbirth and not been orphaned in the process, gone onto win the immune-system lottery and made it through several bouts of plague, dysentary, and worked out some kind of a long-lasting symbiosis will all manner of parasites, managed not to succumb to the odd famine or other catastrophe - the lot in life that awaited him would be something much more along the lines of "toothless, illiterate, malnourished, chamber-pot-bearer" for the said knight.

Unfortunately, everyone who gets misty eyed when fantasizing the next revolution tends to be looking through the same distorted prism. This could probably be remedied by reading up on what actually happened in the course of the "real" revolutions that have occured over the past couple of centuries - but that's not likely to happen. So I'll summarize the plot for you - at best you'll play Trotsky to someone else's Stalin, and on average - you are much likely to contemplate the glories of the revolution from the gulag or from beneath the turf.

Carry on...

Was there anything useful or insightful that you wanted to add to that? rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately, everyone who gets misty eyed when fantasizing the next revolution tends to be looking through the same distorted prism. This could probably be remedied by reading up on what actually happened in the course of the "real" revolutions that have occured over the past couple of centuries - but that's not likely to happen. So I'll summarize the plot for you - at best you'll play Trotsky to someone else's Stalin, and on average - you are much likely to contemplate the glories of the revolution from the gulag or from beneath the turf

How fatuous of you JayB

I'd have liked to have been on the '53 everest expedition though I know I'd have only shuttled loads. There are thousands of events that merely being a participant in would be astounding.

Sorry to inject a dose of reality into the utopawanking.

Maybe the would "revolutionaries" amongst us could take after their mead guzzling brethren and and host similar gatherings around the countryside. Each KOA plot could be transformed into its own Ministry, every participant could pretend that they were members of The Central Committee and get their own portfolio to manage, everyone could collectively smirk at the "Hoover Insititution," and "Cato Institute" stickers on the port-a-potties, the folks on the security detail could pretend that they were members of The People's Army - who after successfully conquering Poverty, Inequality, and Injustice on the "Risk" board, could set about laying waste to the vegatarian casserole on the potluck table - sorry - I meant feasting on the record crops brought forward by the People's Organic Harvest Collective......

I respectfully disagree.

It is not up to us to decide when a person is allowed to excersize their right to free speech; especially by using our personal values as guidelines for others' right to voice their opinion.

Silly girl tongue.gif

Your reading things into my statement that aren't quite there. If a person does absolutely nothing else, they should at the minimum vote. If they want to make a concious choice not to vote, and have some other mechanism of getting their opinions heard, more power too them. That doesn't fullfill their obligation to participate in the process but it's a start.

However i'd love to know how many people actively abstained from voting as a political statement, and let their will be known as such, vs how many people didn't vote because they were lazy bastards who couldn't take the time to be informed about whats happening to them.

If you in no way participate in the process of running this country I don't want to hear you whine when you don't like the results. the_finger.gif Now if you got something constructive and useful to say that's a different story and your welcome to the discussion and i'd love to hear your viewpoint.

Now me? I voted so I get to call bush a moron all I want grin.gif

Unfortunately, everyone who gets misty eyed when fantasizing the next revolution tends to be looking through the same distorted prism. This could probably be remedied by reading up on what actually happened in the course of the "real" revolutions that have occured over the past couple of centuries - but that's not likely to happen. So I'll summarize the plot for you - at best you'll play Trotsky to someone else's Stalin, and on average - you are much likely to contemplate the glories of the revolution from the gulag or from beneath the turf

How fatuous of you JayB

I'd have liked to have been on the '53 everest expedition though I know I'd have only shuttled loads. There are thousands of events that merely being a participant in would be astounding.

If this example were applied in the context of most of the major political revolutions, you would have to have the leaders of the expedition order the porters kill and eat you in order to sustain them as they carried the loads for the climbers in order to obtain a historically authentic experience, but I think I see what you are getting at...

ELEVATION ON BOINLING POINT OF COFFE EXTRACT

J.Telis-Romero*, R.A.F.Cabral, G.Z.Kronka and V.R.N.Telis

Departamento de Engenharia e Tecnologia de Alimentos, Universidade Estadual Paulista, UNESP,

Phone: (55) (17) 221-2251, Fax: (55) (17) 221-2299, 15054-000, São José do Rio Preto - SP, Brazil

E-mail: javier@eta.ibilce.unesp.br

(Received: August 31, 2001 ; Accepted: November 12, 2001)

Abstract - The rise in boiling point of coffee extract was experimentally measured at soluble solids concentrations in the range of 9.2 to 52.4oBrix and pressures between 5.8 ´ 103 and 9.4 ´ 104 Pa (abs.). Different approaches to representing experimental data, including the Dühring's rule, the Antoine equation and empirical models proposed in the literature were tested. In the range of 9.2 to 16.2oBrix, the rise in boiling point was nearly independent of pressure, varying only with extract concentration. Considerable deviations of this behavior began to occur at concentrations higher than 16.2oBrix. Experimental data could best be predicted by adjusting an empirical model which consists of a single equation that takes into account the dependence of rise in boiling point on pressure and concentration.

Keywords: Evaporation, concentration, vapor pressure.

INTRODUCTION

Coffee is the product with the second high value added worldwide, and Brazil is the major producer and major exporter. In 1998 coffee represented 5.1% of the total value of Brazilian exports, and the coffee industry processed around 12.2 million bags directed to the internal market. The Brazilian coffee production estimate for 2001/02 is of about 33.7 million bags (Embrapa, 2001; Café do Cerrado, 2001). These data indicate the great importance of the coffee industry to the Brazilian economy and justify research aiming to optimize design and operation of processing plants.

Knowledge of the boiling point temperature of coffee extract for a wide range of concentrations is of primary importance to the soluble coffee industry, as it makes wide use of evaporation for extract concentration prior to spray or freeze drying.

Previous work has been conducted on the effect of temperature and concentration on thermophysical properties of coffee extract, including density, specific heat, thermal conductivity, thermal diffusivity, and rheological data (Telis-Romero et al., 2000; Cabral, 2000). Nevertheless, no published data are available on the rise in boiling point at different concentrations of coffee extract, and theoretical equations are of limited use due to the complex composition of the material and lack of knowledge of the components that contribute to the elevation of boiling point.

Experimental data on the rise in the boiling points of fruit juices at different concentrations were presented by Ilagantileke et al. (1991), for Thai tangerine juices, by Crapiste and Lozano (1988) and Moresi and Spinosi (1984) for apple juice, by Moresi and Spinosi (1980) for orange juice, and by Varshney and Barhate (1978) for pineapple, mango and lemon juices.

In this work, the rise in boiling point of coffee extracts at various concentrations and pressures was measured and compared with data on sucrose solutions, which are often used as models to represent the behavior of fluid foods such as fruit juices and coffee extracts

Take that Juan Valdez!

wow, i ignored this thread for awhile and return to see it blew the fuck up, got cool, then got wierd, then got boring.

to sum up - i don't really want to live through a revolution - it would most definitely fuck w/ my climbing. i'm not a huge fan of the current political scene of my nation, but don't feel anywhere near the passion required to kill people, topple statues or wear funny pants. the shit we worry about is still pretty minimal compared to the historic inequities mankind has confronted.

plus, beer tastes so good!

to sum up - i don't really want to live through a revolution - it would most definitely fuck w/ my climbing. i'm not a huge fan of the current political scene of my nation, but don't feel anywhere near the passion required to kill people, topple statues or wear funny pants. the shit we worry about is still pretty minimal compared to the historic inequities mankind has confronted.

WORD cool.gif

Ah, the usual straw dog strategically posed as the only alternative. Contrary to the devoted knee-benders to Milton Friedman there are alternatives to the current historical disparities between rich and poor in the conntry.

It alway amusing to watch the right wing tie themselves in linguistic knots explaining to us how the marketplace solves all problems and unfettered capatilism is the only game in town. While keeping a straight face their hand is placed firmly in the taxpayer cookie jar for corporate tax breaks, subsidies, and no-bid contracts. The working-poor however - well if they just worked harder..... The push for the repeal of the estate tax is prime with such irony.

To then insist that the only alternatve is via Trotsky and company is a typical attempt to divert attention from the issues at hand (don't forget to add witty and snide comments about Che, subaru and prius drivers, bicycle commuters, and LIBERALS).

If nothing else the flood in New Orleans revealed what was always there but not acknowledged - the chasm of income inequity in the US, who benefits, and who suffers.

Guaranteed - When they say "It's not about the money" it's about the money.

And when they say "it's not about race" You bet it is.

That's why I mostly acquiesce. Revolution. That sucks. If the electorate was more like me, I guess I wouldn't complain as much.

Dont' be such a downer, man.

What you are talking about falls under the guise of "reform" rather than wholesale "revolution," no?

The word "reform" doesn't inspire many people to strum guitars in coffee shops, but it's been a hell of a lot more effective in improving the lot of mankind. If the words "reform" and "revolution" could be morphed into actual persons, one would be Franklin, the other Rousseau - actually Robespierre, but I'm feeling generous.

As far as the biking and all the rest of it goes - I've been commuting by bike for all but 3 years since 1992, where I decided to live and work were due in large part to my desire to continue doing so, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - its not like it makes me some kind of a fucking eco-saint. Spare me the self-righteous bloviation unless you are out on the tundra in a yurt with the stone tools and the hand-woven clothing, and you've left the canned food, the antibiotics, and the radio in a pile at the end of the road.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, and you want to delude yourself into thinking that you are some kind of low-impact hero for doing so -just ride the bike, recycle your shit, and STFU.

Meanwhile {I saw this on Wired.com)

Worse Than Wal-Mart?

Unions hate Wal-Mart, accusing the world's No. 1 retailer of paying paltry wages and making workers spend too much on health care. Few would describe working as a Wal-Mart greeter as a dream job, but a union protesting work conditions at a Wal-Mart store in Nevada is giving the chain a run for its money, according to Las Vegas Weekly: Temp protesters, hired by the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union to carry anti-Wal-Mart placards in the 104-degree heat, earn a measly $6 an hour, with no benefits at all. "It don't make no sense, does it?" said one picketer. "We're sacrificing for the people who work in there, and they don't even know it." Another rent-a-protester, who worked for Wal-Mart in the past, had few harsh words for his former employer. "I can't complain," he said. "It wasn't bad."

What you are talking about falls under the guise of "reform" rather than wholesale "revolution," no?

As far as the biking and all the rest of it goes - I've been commuting by bike for all but 3 years since 1992, where I decided to live and work were due in large part to my desire to continue doing so, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - its not like it makes me some kind of a fucking eco-saint. Spare me the self-righteous bloviation unless you are out on the tundra in a yurt with the stone tools and the hand-woven clothing, and you've left the canned food, the antibiotics, and the radio in a pile at the end of the road.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, and you want to delude yourself into thinking that you are some kind of low-impact hero for doing so -just ride the bike, recycle your shit, and STFU.

Yes on the reform. Thoust protest too much eh? on the rest. bigdrink.gif

Dont' be such a downer, man.

The word "reform" doesn't inspire many people to strum guitars in coffee shops, but it's been a hell of a lot more effective in improving the lot of mankind. If the words "reform" and "revolution" could be morphed into actual persons, one would be Franklin, the other Rousseau - actually Robespierre, but I'm feeling generous.

JayB your sanctimony about the liberal left is as tired as the vintage Che t-shirt worn by the apartchiks you bloviate about.

Most people opining any ideology can't truly comprehend the world they want to create, nor would most want to live in the world they eventually created. The Atlas Shrugged toting masses would find it extremely tiresome to to pay for the full cost of their education, police force, etc. The Marxists would find it difficult maintain their recreational chemical consumption under the total state. Nothing new on those fronts. Hypocrisy is the 2nd oldest profession.