BD Alpine Shirt - Any thoughts??

maad

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking for an uninsulated softshell for Summer climbing, but I've only found things that'll rip if it ever touches rock. I figured this shirt might be the right thing. I'm just not sure about the durability. Some reviews say that the fabric isn't very tough. Also I found a place that'll sell it for $89.99. Appreciate it if you have other ideas.

Well, I've got pants made of the same material, and they are pretty abrasion-resistant, but suffer from (horrors!) pilling. I think it's silly to try to decide between clothes without trying them on. I mean, you have to wear the thing. Go to REI and feel all the softshells and make note of the fabric they use. You can tell intuitively which fabric will be more or less abrasion-resistant, so go from there. Anything stretch-woven will be more durable than a thin layer of nylon. I guess I don't know what your expectation of durability is. More/less durable than what?

I hardly ever wear a softshell in the summer. Cragging, just wear a stylish, cheap sweatshirt if there's a breeze. It's not like you can't walk back to the car if it starts pouring. In the alpine, I'm moving too much to not overheat and sweat like a piggy with more than one layer on (poly or wool t-shirt, long- or short-sleeved), maybe a nylon windbreaker. At the belay and at camp, I put on an insulated layer that is warmer for its weight than a softshell.

IMHO, softshell jackets are for cold temps when you will actually be wearing a jacket when moving and want it to breathe. I wear mine skiing and on snowy/cold days.

Jeez, sorry for the dissertation... I'm pissed that I didn't go to Index when I saw the rain this morning on my window. madgo_ron.gif

I have a Schoeller Dryskin Extreme jacket and I find myself heating up way too much on summer alpine climbs (I just wear a short sleeved base layer underneath). I'm just looking for something that's as abrasion resistant, wind resistant as the Dryskin Extreme, but much thinner. I've felt the Dynamic fabric and it feels very durable, but I've heard of issues of durability associated with that fabric. Does your experience with pilling affect the performance of the fabric?

I usually do some long summer approaches with a fast dash to the peak. I've been wanting to rely on a very simple but versatile softshell rather than something insulated (dryskin) and end up overheating, or something less durable (nylon). I've ripped a fair share of nylon jackets bushwhacking to a route and sometimes catching them on rocks.

Yeah the weather has been rather pissy in my parts too.

Thanks Kioti for the suggestion on the Mt. Hardware offwidth. I'll certainly check it out. From the specs it looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Do you know how the fabric performs? Apparently it does have wicking properties as well as some of the stretch woven properties.

Thanks!