[TR] Wonderland Trail- One Push 9/9/2005

AlpinistAndrew

Climb: Wonderland Trail-One Push

Date of Climb: 9/9/2005

Trip Report:

Myself, Masternate32 and two other friends hiked the Wonderland Trail on Sept. 7-8. We started at 4am from Sunrise on Wednesday and hiked counterclockwise. We carried only day packs. We took minimal breaks and one nap break. We made it to Longmire around 2:30am and "slept" 3 hours (which sucked, it was so cold). We marched forward. Our goal was 40 hours, but we slowed down a lot near Indian Bar. We picked up again afterward. We made it back to Sunrise a little after midnight. Time: 44:24. Fucking hard. I'll never do it again. I wanted a mental and physical challenge and to see if I could do it, which I did. I don't want to eat a GU or anything in bar form for a while. We engorged ourselves at the nearest Sheri's (Biscuits and gravy, 3 pancakes, and a skillet of eggs, meat and other goodness), the waitress was so impressed with our gluttony that we received free cinamon rolls. Now I'm going to go lay down for 2 days.

Gear Notes:

Not much

Approach Notes:

All bridges in

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!!! I tried to do this in a single push and it broke me. We went too fast I think, averging 5mph. 3 or less is the way to go. Right now I have tendon issues but I would love to try this again and finish it off. The feeling of topping a ridge just before dusk, knowing that you have that much country to cross is intoxicating. Again, right on guys. I know what you mean about cold. When I didn't make it, I spent the night with my shirt off because of the sweat and only had a backback to sleep in and tree branches for warmth. Next time I'm bringing a sleeping bag...

Couloir, what was your elapsed time on the Timberline Trail? We did it last July with an elapsed time of 14 hours 40 minutes. We estimated 16 hours and hoped to complete the trail in 12 hours. I can't imagine doing the Wonderland Trail in a single push - too much for this old man! I hear the current record for the Wonderland Trail is 24 hours 1 minute.

cc.hikers.com. who cares? yellowsleep.gif

STFU, dick. non-stop push on the wt equals alpine adventure. if you're such hot shit, why read a tr on something that's clearly not about a technical climb? maybe mike's mox tr will provide you w/ your spank bank...

sounds like good training for a car-to-car on olympus!