NF of MT Buckner

mikeadam

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a picture of Andrew, Martin and the other two in the party as they were leaving the parking lot at about 10am Friday morning. It wasn't until Andrew handed me his camera that I recognized him and I embarrassed the hell out of him by calling him famous. He replied that the others he was with were more worthy than him. As we ascended Eldorado, we referred to them as the CDT - Cascade Dream Team.

They were noticeably coy about thier intentions at the trailhead -- would only commit to doing something around Forbidden.

They had the same incredible weather we did - the conditions just couldn't have been better for the N. Cascades. Congrats to them all.

Juan:

You too can be an athlete if you get your sponsors in line. Being a climber is just so 1980s, you know.

I have a friend who is a Larson Brothers Bakery athlete. He gets a discount on pastries the day after they're baked. I've been thinking about hitting up Gai's for a donut sponsorship. [Wink]

Nice job guys

Sound's like they timed it just right.

What's up with some of these Utah guys ticking our coveted prizes? -It has happened before. I guess most of us are lazy (myself included)

Anyone care to divulge about F.Descents they are eyeing? What is the "Mount Everest" of ski descents left to be done in the Cascades? Maybe I'll hire Big Lou to porter my alpine lift ski gear in somewhere. I'll wear a bull riding vest and a motorcycle helmet. Anybdy seen one of those prototype "bear proof" suits?. Or how about a parachute? [big Drink]

Jens wrote:

quote:

What's up with some of these Utah guys ticking our coveted prizes? -It has happened before. I guess most of us are lazy (myself included).

I understand that the group came up to ski Liberty Ridge, but because of poor conditions on Rainier, Martin Volken suggested Buckner. I know of at least two other groups who wanted to ski Buckner, but they missed this particular window. Martin got aced in a similar way on the Park Glacier headwall of Mt Baker a few years ago.

quote:

Anyone care to divulge about F.Descents they are eyeing? What is the "Mount Everest" of ski descents left to be done in the Cascades?

I have a list, but I'm not ready to share it quite yet. When it comes to steep terrain, my preference is toward roped skiing, since I cannot justify greater risk to my family.

The Everest of Cascade ski descents is the NE face of Mt Fury in the Picket Range. Fury has been skied only once, seventeen years ago, from the SE side. There are LOTS of other descents possible in the range, but that's all you'll get out of me for now. [Wink]

Andrew McLean has posted some of his pictures from Mt Buckner on his website. Here's a thread he started on telemarktalk.com:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2803&forum=1&12

And here's a direct link to the photos:

http://www.pawprince.com/2002/cascades/home.html

[ 06-19-2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Lowell Skoog ]

quote:

Who was the first to ski the CJ couloir, and how often is it done?

I don't know of any ski descents of the Johanesburg couloir. If it's a major feature over 40 degrees and it's not listed on my history website, then I don't have any information about previous ski descents. See: http://alpenglow.org/ski-history

If you know of significant descents not listed on my site, please let me know.

The CJ couloir is a super obvious line, but also a bowling alley at times. I'm sure somebody will ski it eventually. Nearly all the snow/ice climbs in the Cascades are between 45-50 degrees, which makes them potentially skiable.

quote:

I take it you're just doing WA/PNW descents Lowell, not Canadian stuff... or you would have the Trevor Petersen (I think?) W face of Welch on there.

Yes. My current scope is Washington only (both Cascades and Olympics). I might look at Mt Hood eventually, but probably not. The task is already big enough to keep me busy for several years.