bastard

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless you work for a nonprofit.

or move to Canada or Europe.... which is looking more and more appealing actually. tongue.gif

Or just go work for a decent corporation.

do you know of any which start you at 4 weeks vacation? shocked.gif if so I want to know about them... so I can go beg plead and grovel for a job there!

plenty will work you up to 4 wks, but that's after having worked there like 10+ years. thumbs_down.gif

oxymoron

Yes, but all of my employers gave more than 2 weeks vacation.

Mine too (and remember these are not "gifts"; these are what workers fought for).

But you mentioned 4 weeks. I bargained hard for three when I started my job for the corp I am working for now. It is bullshit that I have to do that each time I change companies when I have "put in my time" and gotten the experience that makes me a valuable employee (although I don't wanna bitch too much b/c I love the fact that I even *get* time off that I get paid for--it is a great benefit). I think, and I may be wrong on this, that teachers get to rack up their service time and carry it with them when they move to a different district. I could be wrong on this though. And I assume that private schools and universities are different. Maybe someone who is not a corporate whore can set me straight on the vacation rules of working for the school system.

do you know of any which start you at 4 weeks vacation? shocked.gif if so I want to know about them... so I can go beg plead and grovel for a job there!

My current employer for one (small company). For a bigger company Wells Fargo financial starts with something like 4, but thats all you ever get.

Officially all the grad students and student employees at UW are now unionized under the United Auto Workers and part of the "contract" is 4 weeks off per year. What it really amounts to is the time between quarters. So long as your advisor is the chair of your committee it doesn't matter though, he's the one you have to keep happy and ultimately controls your fate to some degree. Nothing on the research end has changed. Maybe a little has changed on the teaching end for some of the liberal arts people, but nothing has that I can see on the engineering end. I just loose a few bucks in fees each paycheck. (Even though I opted not to join the fuckers still take a small cut of my sallary).

Of course.... For my last quarter here I'm not actually employed as a grad student! I just realized I don't have to deal with the wankers at the UAW anymore!

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

the Univ. of Wa. UAW can kiss my moon.gif

We start at 20 paid days off then after five years we add ond day per year to thirty years, when you reach the twenty fifth year yau are entitled to and extra five days off on that year when you hit thirty years you are entitled to and additional 10 days for that year when youy hit 35 years you are entitled to and additional 15 days for that year. The same at fourty and at fourty five years, I have never seen anyone with fourty years seniority but there are some with thirty. We also receive sick pay and compassionate leave maturnity leave special leave educational leave and a few others. A lot of companies here also offer the same sort of benefits.

We start at 20 paid days off then after five years we add ond day per year to thirty years, when you reach the twenty fifth year yau are entitled to and extra five days off on that year when you hit thirty years you are entitled to and additional 10 days for that year when youy hit 35 years you are entitled to and additional 15 days for that year. The same at fourty and at fourty five years, I have never seen anyone with fourty years seniority but there are some with thirty. We also receive sick pay and compassionate leave maturnity leave special leave educational leave and a few others. A lot of companies here also offer the same sort of benefits.

So that is commensurate with corporations here.

Ooow, looks like you should take one of your vacation days and go see your shrink.

I can't afford a shrink for both me and the goldfish, he goes first.

Well, your compassion will save you in the end.

He's too small to batter fry and I'm not a big sushi fan

cantfocus.gif I love sushi

Obviously. Mad as a hatter archenemy is.