bastard

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hold your condolences as I will be attending a college with a kinder, gentler approach to graduate studies. rockband.gif

They're so cute when they're young and naive. Personally i'm at about that point just before the motivation crashes when you realize that no one will ever read your research! But at least i'm almost done!

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

grad_school_motivation.jpg

update:

Fifteen minutes ago my boss just sent me an email asking to meet in 20 minutes.....

So come on man! what was the outcome of the meeting??

Silly boy... he didn't notify me far enough in advance for the meeting. I sent him an email half an hour later, saying sorry, it's email, not a pager.

Gary's probably chained to the rack being tormented with hot-coals at the moment. Ah the joys of grad school.

No, I had a wonderful meeting this afternoon concerning the course I'll be teaching in fall. I met with the instructors who will be teaching the course in winter and spring and with the primary instructor of the prerequisite. I get to be the guinea pig regarding our new curriculum revisions. smile.gif

We scheduled the meeting a week in advance, and we all showed up on time, qualities I sadly cannot attribute to my advisor.

?? When I told him I could meet today, I didn't mean that he snaps his fingers and I'm there -- he has to give me at the minimum an hour notice. I'll get absorbed with my work. I'll go out for lunch. I'll work at home and be 15 minutes from the lab. He should have picked a time the day before, or even first thing in the morning, and settled on that. And I've told him that repeatedly.

Yeah, so I may make exceptions to my rules. But then the problem is they come to expect it. Like the time he emailed me the afternoon before asking me to do a dog&pony show the next morning.

Anyway, I emailed him a few hours ago asking to set a date and time for a meeting next week... who knows when I'll hear back from him.

?? When I told him I could meet today, I didn't mean that he snaps his fingers and I'm there -- he has to give me at the minimum an hour notice. I'll get absorbed with my work. I'll go out for lunch. I'll work at home and be 15 minutes from the lab. He should have picked a time the day before, or even first thing in the morning, and settled on that. And I've told him that repeatedly.

You'd better get ready for real life, Gary. Heres a helpful hint, don't pull this attitude in the real world. At some point you are going to working for the Man and you are going to be his bitch. I realize you are asking for a little respect, but when you leave your ivory tower your rules will be worthless. Don't forget your advisor leads your grad. committee and has the final say on your life, like passing your quals, defense, adequacy of your dissertation, signing off on those last couple of pieces of paper to the grad school, and writing those letter of recommendations. evils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gifevils3d.gif

You'd better get ready for real life, Gary. Heres a helpful hint, don't pull this attitude in the real world. At some point you are going to working for the Man and you are going to be his bitch. I realize you are asking for a little respect, but when you leave your ivory tower your rules will be worthless. Don't forget your advisor leads your grad. committee and has the final say on your life, like passing your quals, defense, adequacy of your dissertation, signing off on those last couple of pieces of paper to the grad school, and writing those letter of recommendations.

Good advice if you want to be an office doormat.

The problem is there are no rules regarding the advisor-student relationship. Even the union contract is silly. Just try telling your advisor that you're entitled to four weeks of vacation.

So it's up to the student to manage his advisor. I've had more success ignoring my advisor than trying to change him (and I'm not the only student who's had issues with him), so that's what I've done. I've focused more on teaching, and I may interact more with the educational group than the graphics group this year. My advisor is not providing me any funding, so I'm under no obligation to suck his dick. At my current stage of research, I don't feel I need his help/advice on anything. Yes, my prgress is slower, but I'm happier. My hope is that at some point I'll get badass-enough results that I can leverage with them to get my demands satisfied.