New line on Liberty Bell East Face?

John Frieh

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to the right of Liberty Crack?

I was soloing Liberty Crack a few years back when that was being put up. It's like a .10+, but I remember the First Ascentionist remarking that there was a "perfect #3 Camalot placement, and I just couldn't put a bolt there."

I think that was the first pitch. Looked really fun, I agree.

As I recall, its called freedom or death. I think it starts a bit to the left of Thin Red Line. I climbed the first pitch or two and got snowed off a few years ago. It's three or four pitches, something like a pitch of hard .10, a pitch or two of hard .11/easy .12, and then a travers pitch of low .11 that links up w/ LC above the lip.

{The parts I was on were quite nice. You need some gear, but it is primarily bolts.

The route, Freedom or Death, was established around 8 years ago or so by Eli Helmuth. The first pitch is 10+ w/gear and bolts. The second is 5.11, all bolts. The third is 5.12, all bolts with a gear placement or two. The fourth pitch traverses under a big roof into the 3rd pitch (5.11+) of Liberty Crack. Mike and John were the first to send all four pitches.

Helmuth also established a 5.10+ start to the Thin Red Line, bolts and gear, that starts and ends just right of the first pitch of FOD.

Paul Butler

Mazama