Lake Byrne to Red Pass Info Request

Tom_Ormond

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a route description in Routes and Rocks, if you can find a copy if it. We hiked the first half of this a few summers ago but were scared away from finishing the second half by a large electrical storm. We made it to the basin just north of Black. The north east side of Black has some reminent ice (at least it did a few summers ago) that you would probably want crampons for. It might be possible to avoid but crossing over looks to be the easiest way. You can do a nice two day loop in along Lost Creek Ridge and out the Sauk River. If you want more info I can check Routes and Rocks and let you know.

pp. 81-83 of Crowder and Tabor's book describes the Black Mountain High Route, starting at Red Pass and finishing around the west side of Lake Byrne. It rates it a Difficult 3,000-foot climb,3850-foot descent,7 miles, 8 hours. Although I have no personal experience with this route, I can pass along the information from the book if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...