awful fawkers at beacon rock

ivan

anyone know the stupid bastard(s) who've found it necessary to carve arrows along the SE corner and young warriors routes? i assume this was done because they wanted to leave an antiseptic experience for those to follow (and the super-chalked holds weren't clear enough already) - in some places it looks like the direction markers have been scratched in w/ a rock. i thought scrawling "asshole" into the forehead of the culprit would be an innovative physical salute to their labeling spirit.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone know the stupid bastard(s) who've found it necessary to carve arrows along the SE corner and young warriors routes? ................i thought scrawling "asshole" into the forehead of the culprit would be an innovative physical salute to their labeling spirit.

Unnnn-Friggan-belivable. frown.gif

Who would do something like that? confused.gif

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

This follows an incident two weekends ago where the couple ahead of us on the route put a big chalk arrow [pointing the wrong way] on the slab above the crux.

We'll see what we can do to repair whatever damange has been done now.

Please people - no markings of any kind!!! The chalk is actually bad enough...

How permanent is the damage?

the first arrow i noticed on young warriors was chalk, as joe noted, so that's not such a big deal as the rain oughta take it away soon enough. soon thereafter though i began noticing arrows that appeared to me to have been made by scratching the rock - big arrows too, about a foot long and 2-3 inches wide - either w/ another rock or nut tool. these arrows didn't appear to dissapear after spitting on them and rubbing away. they do kindly inform you of a choice at the top of the 4th belay on YW - right or strait up, but half the fun of the route is figuring that shit out for yourself. they appear quite similiar to the scratched arrows at the tree ledge on se corner (wtf? here there really is only one easy way to go! even a drooling retard's not gonna get off route there!) and elsewhere along on the way (i think i saw 4 total). those'll probably fade over time, but they'll inspire rage in me for years to come no doubt...i can only imagine jim updyke's head exploding when he sees 'em!

If anyone knows who is responsible for these markings, or if you made these markings because you felt there was a need, please contact myself or Bill Coe.

Again, route finding is a feature of climbing out at Beacon Rock, the community has no interest in eliminating it as part of the character and long history at Beacon.

WTF they have arrows at the gym! Jesus I hope they don't discover spray paint. Been some scratching going on at horsethief too. Keep it up and the whole area will close to climbing. I wouldn't advertise this to a Beacon ranger. keep it among ourselves. Peer pressure and hard.

Route finding (and getting lost sometimes) is one of the best things about climbing anywhere. I didn't look too hard at the arrows Ivan's talking about, but from just a casual glance they looked like they weren't scratched in too deep. A few minutes determined work with the side of a rock would probably obliterate them, though maybe there's a cleverer way to do it?

had a chance to reappraise y-day on the corner in between bouts of rain (mmm...the best time to be w/o a rope!) - the arrows are most definitely scratches as they don't diminish in the rain. i was thinking about posting some sort of dramatic death-warning to future fools w/ do this sorta shit, but maybe that'll just piss of the park folks?

Route finding (and getting lost sometimes) is one of the best things about climbing anywhere. I didn't look too hard at the arrows Ivan's talking about, but from just a casual glance they looked like they weren't scratched in too deep. A few minutes determined work with the side of a rock would probably obliterate them, though maybe there's a cleverer way to do it?

Cordless%20grinder%20small.jpg

That really irks me, same shit at Vantage.

What's next?

whawkc.jpg

• 1 month later...

There was no guide for Indian Creek for years until recent. The name, grade, and date of FA were scratched into a flat rock found nearby on the ground and placed against the cliff at the base of the route called "plaques" Alot of them are still in place. The buttress's themselves were never carved on!

A few minutes determined work with the side of a rock would probably obliterate them, though maybe there's a cleverer way to do it?

I wonder if there is some soft dremmel head that would clean off the scratch and blend it with the rest of the rock, without doing any damage? I have seen this shit at other places too. I guess I wouldn't want to be seen with a dremmel on the rock though, lest I be though of as an instigator, not a fixer. Just out of curiosity, who does these things? I mean, it seems like everyone who posts here is clearly against it, and personally I can't really think of a single reason to actually do it... So who is doing it and why? And when are they doing it? Do they sneak in at night and climb with a headlamp, so that they can scratch their little arrows without getting caught? I never see it, but you can bet your ass I would say something if I did. madgo_ron.gifthumbs_down.gif