Let them eat cake

E-rock

Barbara Bush: Things Working Out 'Very Well' for Poor Evacuees from New Orleans

By E&P Staff

Published: September 05, 2005 7:25 PM ET updated 8:00 PM

NEW YORK Accompanying her husband, former President George

H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in

Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the

poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

The former First Lady's remarks were aired this

evening on American Public Media's "Marketplace"

program.

She was part of a group in Houston today at the

Astrodome that included her husband and former

President Bill Clinton, who were chosen by her son,

the current president, to head fundraising efforts for

the recovery. Sen. Hilary Clinton and Sen. Barack

Obama were also present.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of

evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost

everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to

Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing which is sort of

scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is

so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you

know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she

chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG that is too funny. thing is, tho, Jon... why'd ya cut out the part of that picture with Butthead!?? (I'm assuming he was originally in that pic with Beavis?) ...... cuz I think that GWB, in that pic at least, looks sorta like HIM!!! hahaha.gif .... i guess it's sorta the curled-up-lip smile or something.

BARBARA BUSH RELOCATED

Former First Lady Moved to New Location Away From Cameras, Microphones

Just days after former First Lady Barbara Bush made widely publicized remarks about people made homeless by Hurricane Katrina, the White House said today that Mrs. Bush had been moved to “a new location away from television cameras and microphones.”

Mrs. Bush, who in talking about Katrina refugees said that “This is working very well for them” and that many of them “were underprivileged anyway,” was transported to a facility where she will have plenty of food and water but no more media appearances, the White House confirmed.

“She will be much more comfortable in this new location, surrounded by armed guards on a 24-hour basis, than she was at her compound in Kennebunkport,” said White House spokesman Scott McClellan. “This is working very well for her.”

Responding to a reporter who questioned whether Mrs. Bush would be happy being uprooted from her estate, Mr. McClellan said, “She was overprivileged anyway.”

While the White House took credit for its success in relocating Mrs. Bush, some congressional critics argued that it did not act quickly enough to relocate the outspoken former First Lady.

“This was an emergency situation,” said Sen. Joseph Biden (D-Del). “They should have relocated her the minute she opened her piehole,”

For her part, the former First Lady remained out of view, but released the following official statement: “I am doing well, but I remain envious of those who were relocated after Hurricane Katrina – boy, do those folks have a sweet deal.”

Elsewhere, President Bush mourned the passing of actor Bob Denver, calling the “Gilligan’s Island” star “a great American and a role model for me personally.”

http://www.borowitzreport.com/