[TR] South East Mox Peak- The Devil's Club, First Ascent of the East Face 9/1/2005

layton

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice job dudes!

Find it interesting that people who are in charge of buldozing in new roads, putting in new toilets and facilities would say shit about a person whacking 4 devils club bushes with a machete.

Sounds to me like somebody has too much time on their hands and needs to go get a real job.

2 guys went and did a climb. End of story. Nice job guys.

Find it interesting that people who are in charge of buldozing in new roads, putting in new toilets and facilities would say shit about a person whacking 4 devils club bushes with a machete.

Sounds to me like somebody has too much time on their hands and needs to go get a real job.

Please be careful, my friend, about dis-respecting folks who have, by & large, dedicated their entire adult lives to the care and well-being of the NCNP, with the express intent of assuring its preservation for the rest of us to enjoy. Everybody, including those from NPS who have posted here, knows that Mike & Erik were being a bit sarcastic with those comments, and nobody is holding it against them.

Kindest Regards,

John Scurlock

Mike and I have tried very hard to clear up the misunderstandings about our "marring" of the wilderness. We have clarified the trip report, written e-mails, and done everything within our ability to stop the reactive responses to our foolish "posing".

And now this letter from Kelly Bush shows up in today's paper.

Edited by MisterE

It does seem like going too far, but she probably figures a great many people are viewing this thread and she doesn't want anyone to get the idea that machetes are "standard equipment" these days. I know you brought it more for the purpose of setting up a joke, but you know, some people take these things very seriously.

In some very wild areas of the Pacific northwest, namely up the Coast in BC, north of Powell River, machetes are very much standard equipment. But it's still "leave no trace" because by the time the next party arrives, 10 years later, no trace of your machete work will be visible anymore - it will have all grown back, twice as thick and spiny.

I wonder how much time Kelly Bush has spent in the wilderness.

A lot I'm sure. I've talked to her a few times and she's a really cool lady. She is also a big asset to the park and the kind of person you want in that type of job. Try meeting her before you talk shit... wave.gif

No one should ever take a machete into a national park or wilderness area.

If anyone ever does take a machete into the North Cascades, it will be hard to find a use for it and any significant damage is unlikely, although it still doesn't look good.

...Is this the end of this thread ?...

Yeah, she is just doing her job. You guys 'broke the rules' but it isn't like it takes anything away from the ascent. I guess I'm just saying I understand why she would write a response.

I'm not so sure that this is the type of person we should have manning the shop. We need people who know how to pick their fights as when real and significant violations or damage have taken place. This climb and approach didn't violate any LNT ethics IMO. Other than the rap anchors and summit register card they left, I doubt that Ms Bush could find any evidence of this party's passing without going out of her way to look for it. And by next summer....nothing.

Some rangers do have an agenda that falls outside the recreation/preservation balance status quo. They are the same ones who toss register boxes off summits and lobby for FS road closures as "private citizens". They are the same ones who won't allow chainsaws to clear windfall from established trails.

...Come to think of it, I'm sure I've seen trail crews within NCNP, many times, with implements quite similar to those used so sparingly by Layton and E.

That's just your typical right wing response, FW, since you don't seem to like restrictions on people doing whatever with public land. Whatever, she made a big deal about nothing, but she cares about the wilderness, the park and she cares about protecting it. Maybe we should get somebody like Gale Norton to be a park ranger? hahaha.gifpitty.gif LOG THE NORTH CASCADES!!!

FW, you did come across that way.

And, I can also see the need to address the issue so that we don't get a bunch of people hacking trails everywhere. Mike and Erik's climb is in an area very few will travel to, so the impacts are nil. However, a bunch a young, newbie climbers might look at this as the way to go at it for adventure in close by, easily accessed drainages that have established trails.

The time is approaching where the North Cascades are going to get as crowded as the Colorado Rockies or the Sierras of California. The impacts will start to be noticed...

rolleyes.gif Put the enviro-hysteria playbook away for once, Josh. I've said nothing of the kind.

"Enviro-hysteria"?? LOL. Yes, that was a very extreme ecoterrorist response of mine. My point is she is someone that is an advocate for responsible use of a valuable natural resource and your knee-jerk response is a typical one of assumption that she represents some sort of infringement on your rights, even if you didn't out and out state it. Whatever. She is cool, if you don't think so due to your warped political reality, then that is your deal.