Maude, North Face conditions and access info?

brukb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early July is a good time for the route. Nelson/Potterfield approach works fine (over the col instead of around). The route is a pretty long day climb or overnight. One light axe, aluminum crampons which you may not need, and a short skinny rope are fine. Helmets are good too.

John Sharp

Thanks, I'm familiar with the route. What I'd like to know is:

Has anyone been on the road? If it's still closed, how far from the TH and is it mtn bikable? Has anyone been on or looked at the route lately? Is the route in good shape? Are there any significant cornice hazards? Is there enough snow left to warrant lugging skis up the North face so I don't have to walk down the south side? I'm sure the Forest service will tell me that the road's closed and there's snow on the trail so I don't want to go up.

We attempted it last weekend. The road is closed about 5 miles from the trailhead. We peeked at the road past the closed sign and it appears snow free and appropriate for mountain bike. When turned back we did Clark Mt. instead and got a view of Maude, and it didn't appear worth it to haul skis up there.