1 American = 100 other people

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yeah! This shit is nothing compared to that other stuff.

Let's see Hiroshima, What like 50,000 dead instantly.

Tsunami, I mean damn like anything even needs to be said about that. But I will, Those people had everything washed away with no way to recover, at least we have our money in electronic banks, have helicopters and first aid close by. Does it suck? Yes, it's horrible and unfortunate but only Americans would shoot each other over ice. (just on the news- someone shot thier sister point blank in the head over ice hellno3d.gif)-nice one! go America! discuss....

I think the commment is on the tendency of american politicians and media to liken "lesser" domestic tragedies to "greater" international tragedies, particularly those in non-western nations.

I honestly beleive Katrina deserves every minute of airtime it receives; however, I do not beleive it is necessary to liken this tragedy to the recent Tsunami. I had the same sentiment hearing 9-11 likened to Hiroshima. The magnitudes simply do not compare and it cheapens the lives of others to pretend they do.

My hunch is that people in the midst of it were groping for a convenient, readily understandable way to communicate what they were seeing to the rest of the world, rather than suggesting that there was actually a literal equivalence between the two disasters.

Also - I am operating on the assumption that (hoping, that is) the ire on display here is directed at the commentators viewing the destruction from a remote locale, rather than the people who live there and are coping with the destruction themselves.

Otherwise, heaven forbid that they should offend us with their ill-considered analogies in their hour of need.

Wow - what an amazing panoply of misinformed* moral narcissism masquerading as compassion we have on display here.

Given the response on this thread, I expect that all of you will be consistent in the application of always putting losses and tragedies sustained by those close to you in the appropriate global context before indulging anything as petty as grief or sympathy. One can also hope that on those occaisions this tendency to use a tragedy to grind one's geopolitical axes will also be indulged in as readily as it has here, as I am sure that will go over quite well with all in attendance. "Yes it's terrible about Ron's death in that wreck and all, but it only serves to illustrate the real tragedy of fossil fuel consumption that fostered by our predilection for SUV's, which is symptomatic of the larger ills that consumerism has inflicted on our culture, which in turn has its genesis in the ruthless capitalism foisted on the planet by a coterie of multinational businessmen...."

*Total cumulative AID to Africa now stands at over 500 billion dollars, but it's not the myriad of difficulties that come along with insuring that aid intended for the most desperate actually arrives in their hands actually does so, rather than into the coiffers or armories of those responsible for their condition, its....racism.

Carry on.

Wow - what an amazing panoply of misinformed* moral narcissism masquerading as compassion we have on display here.

Given the response on this thread, I expect that all of you will be consistent in the application of always putting losses and tragedies sustained by those close to you in the appropriate global context before indulging anything as petty as grief or sympathy. One can also hope that on those occaisions this tendency to use a tragedy to grind one's geopolitical axes will also be indulged in as readily as it has here, as I am sure that will go over quite well with all in attendance. "Yes it's terrible about Ron's death in that wreck and all, but it only serves to illustrate the real tragedy of fossil fuel consumption that fostered by our predilection for SUV's, which is symptomatic of the larger ills that consumerism has inflicted on our culture, which in turn has its genesis in the ruthless capitalism foisted on the planet by a coterie of multinational businessmen...."

*Total cumulative AID to Africa now stands at over 500 billion dollars, but it's not the myriad of difficulties that come along with insuring that aid intended for the most desperate actually arrives in their hands actually does so, rather than into the coiffers or armories of those responsible for their condition, its....racism.

Carry on.

Step away from the Bombast

Forget this POS thread, DAMN IT Jay, myriad is a FUCKING ADJECTIVE.

I expect better from you. boxing_smiley.gifhahaha.gif

"myr·i·ad ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mr-d)

adj.

Constituting a very large, indefinite number; innumerable: the myriad fish in the ocean.

Composed of numerous diverse elements or facets: the myriad life of the metropolis.

n.

A vast number: the myriads of bees in the hive.

Archaic. Ten thousand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Greek mrias, mriad-, ten thousand, from mrios, countless.]

Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's “Myriad myriads of lives.” This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, both uses in English are parallel with those of the original ancient Greek. The Greek word mrias, from which myriad derives, could be used as either a noun or an adjective, but the noun mrias was used in general prose and in mathematics while the adjective mrias was used only in poetry.

myriad

adj : too numerous to be counted; "incalculable riches"; "countless hours"; "an infinite number of reasons"; "innumerable difficulties"; "the multitudinous seas"; "myriad stars"; "untold thousands" [syn: countless, infinite, innumerable, innumerous, myriad(a), multitudinous, numberless, uncounted, unnumberable, unnumbered, unnumerable]

n 1: a large indefinite number; "he faced a myriad of details" 2: the cardinal number that is the product of ten and one thousand [syn: ten thousand, 10000]"

hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gif

Carry on.

Step away from the Bombast

No can do. I am the Ballanchine of Bombast....