video

Peter_Puget

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even LA fucked shit up real bad.

It's water comes from as far north as Shasta. Drive down 5 and you follow the California Aqueduct. Drive down 395 and all the way from Mono lake you are following the pipeline, that goes through and over every mountain in the way. Bishop will forever be a small town, and so will the rest of the valley. LA already owns all of the land shocked.gif And they did that all almost 100 years ago!

Humans are unbelievably persistant. New Orleans will be rebuilt, perhaps better, of course with federal funds. Maybe someday we'll learn frown.gif

I think you may have something with that analogy.

The real shit is that there was talk about "if the international community will give us aid" yelrotflmao.gif

Like the rest of the world is going to help us. If we spent so much money on Iraq that we can't afford to fix this ourselves then our gov. sucks. Why are we the only country that helps others before ourselves. confused.gif (assuming you belive helping people consists of taking over a country with oil-iraq

and ignoring genocide-rwanda)

Actually that sounds pretty mean frown.gif

You could say the same thing about the Netherlands except that the dyke didn't break yet. But it will!

The Netherlands get storms too, but nothing like the reliable storms the Gulf receives EVERY year.

It's just sad because over the past years, every hurricane season, you always hear "wow, that was close, it's a good thing it didn't hit new orleans, THAT would be a catastrophe".

Not so surprised about the looting. Those people are desperate. The looting for things like jewelry and the shootings are strange. Almost like watching Lord of the Flies or something. The dismantling of society seems to happen pretty quickly. Makes you wonder how quickly your town could fall apart after something like this.

I do wonder what all of those stranded in town felt about the flooding threat. Were they for the most part aware of the danger, or do they not actually realize the potential for this to happen? Did they recognize the risk but could not leave, or did they choose to stay? You shouldn't have to be a hazard analysis expert when determining where to live, so surely some responsiblity rests on the city to warn residents of this possibility.

Though it is also a tragedy that people are so disconnected with nature that they would require a government warning about these risks.

I think you may have something with that analogy.

The real shit is that there was talk about "if the international community will give us aid" yelrotflmao.gif

Like the rest of the world is going to help us. If we spent so much money on Iraq that we can't afford to fix this ourselves then our gov. sucks. Why are we the only country that helps others before ourselves. confused.gif (assuming you belive helping people consists of taking over a country with oil-iraq

and ignoring genocide-rwanda)

Actually I just heard on the news that Japan and France have pitched in some aid as well as corporations such as Disney and Nike.

Intersting point. You know what is also intersting. I have lived in Okinawa, Japan where there are several typhoons a year.

Of course not all are this serious but the point is Okinawan's build their houses and buildings out of concrete. My house and street flooded to the point of undrivability but it did not float away. Maybe the people down in the gulf region should take notes from the japanese. Buildings are ugly in okinawa but this kind of tradgedy is well planned out. snaf.gif