The Coming Ice Season

Dru

Since summer is almost over let's start talking about the waterfall ice season, a mere 3 months off (if we're lucky - ws climbing Alpine water ice in Nov 2 years ago) or 5 if we aren't and it doesn't freeze up in Lillooet until January.

Do you think its going to be a good or bad ice season? Any predictions as to colder/warmer, wetter/drier out there?

A couple more cold weeks with hope frozen up would be ideal.. in the last two years the Fraser has frozen over at Hope twice, will it go 3 for 3?

fruit.giflaugh.giffruit.giflaugh.giffruit.giflaugh.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping for lots of snow on the coast (gotta help those poor glaciers) and a nice cold winter in the Rockies. I really wanna get up to Cody!

It was 96 in Boulder yesterday and 68 (but still sunny) today. It feels great. It is from the lingering effects of the cold air from Katrina. Pretty wild to imagine that.

I've been thinking about ice seasons on the coast and such, and I suspect there is an over-looked pre-season most years. If you have a dry mid to late October and early November, the conditions in the alpine (6000 ft plus) are really cold. All of those frozen creeks near Baker are just a hint of the possibilities. The keys though are everything will be high, and snow makes the approaches hugely problematic and the climbs invisible. So, look for very steep drainages still running (lightly) in early October - and wait - and pray for zero precip.

Otherwise, I give a mini-outflow prior to Dec 15 (3 days of climbing) a 15% probability. Climbing should begin around Dec 20th (thin).

As for needing to drive to Cody (from boulder), try the higher areas of RMP (78ks from town to trailhead). I'm hoping to do water stuff there by October. The season goes until May. The Couloirs are getting close, with night temps in the alpine very close to freezing.

GB

so what areas are only snowmobile access? Phair Creek? North Joffre? I want to get away from the rest of you gapers this year tongue.gif

These would be best accessed with a sled, but could be easily reached on skis if the snowline wasn't too low and/or you were willing to make a weekend of it.

• 2 weeks later...