60mph for SUV's?

Fairweather

The worst speeders are usually the SUV drivers.

You state this as if it were fact. I think a "seem to be" needs to be added.

I just think you need to tax the hell out of SUVs. Money talks. Either at the car dealership, or make gas $5/gallon at least for non-commercial purposes.

People will always speed, it's next to unenforceable. Some people consider speeding tickets the price of the luxury to speed. snugtop.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't advocate a mandatory SUV speed limit, but I would support public announcements reminding people that their cars get better mileage at lower speeds. I think most people forget that it costs them significantly more to run at 75 mph than it does at 60 mph. The worst speeders are usually the SUV drivers.

you know, experimentally, that's bullshit. my car gets way better mileage at 120 kmh than at 90.

Even with the govt. refund?

why don't motorcycles get government incentives like hybrids? great gas milage, don't take up any highway space, way fewer parts to be manufactured than any car. (well except for those chrome-addicted harley crazies!) wave.gif

No shit, good question.

But then, what would a bike commuter get? And someone who walks? Those people who are actually helping the most would get nothing (except not have to buy gas, etc)

Motorcycles take up highway space. It's not the size of the vehicle, but the space between which limits the number of cars on the road at highway speeds.

Also, do motorcycles have any polution controls?

it is also wear on the roadways. big trucks tear up the highways, so do studded tire sissies... motorcycles don't weigh much and thus don't do too much damage to the road. well, except for having to scrape up body parts.

i think there are some polution standards for bikes...probably in california. i know mine has a catalytic converter madgo_ron.gif

I wouldn't advocate a mandatory SUV speed limit, but I would support public announcements reminding people that their cars get better mileage at lower speeds. I think most people forget that it costs them significantly more to run at 75 mph than it does at 60 mph. The worst speeders are usually the SUV drivers.

you know, experimentally, that's bullshit. my car gets way better mileage at 120 kmh than at 90.

I have no idea what you drive. Boxy cars like SUVs definitely get poorer mileage at higher speeds because of aerodynamics. A sleek car like a Lotus probably get's its best mileage at 85 mph. What are you driving Dru? A Ferrari?

It is physically impossible for a vehicle to get better mileage at higher speed, unless it is because of gearing (there are optimally efficient rates of engine revolution).

Forget your statement and hold onto your qualifier. Do you get better fuel economy at 10mph than at 50?

Maybe, if you drive a lawnmower.