LIGHTNING DOME, S.F. CLEARWATER RIVER, LABOR DAY!

sobo

OK, so all my regular partners either have their kids this w/e, are running a triathlon, are going car-camping, or haven't called back yet. I really really really really wanna go to Lightning Dome for the long weekend, but need a partner (obviously rolleyes.gif ). The climbing is a lot like Leavenworth's 8-mile Buttress and SCW, with clean granite, bolts where you want 'em, and no bolted cracks. Runouts, where present, are somewhat long and contemplative...

While mikebell thought it was a long drive for a westsider to make for a climbing trip, he did enjoy the rock quality and the aesthetics of the surroundings. Soooooooooo, I'm most likely looking for an eastsider (cuz it's a shorter drive) who leads in the 5.9/10 range on trad and slab/face, wants to climb in a really cool setting, and who doesn't want to pay for trail parking passes and shit like that. So I'm calling out guys like:

pindude

wazzumountaineer

MCash

shapp

CatManDoo

...but this is an open invitation to all cc.com-ers, so that means you or anybody else who wants to hook up for 3 days in Idaho. We could even do a day trip down to McCall and tick Slick Rock regular route if'n you wanted to.

C'mon! Help a brother out, man!

PS: Don't let all my talk about being fat and domesticated and all scare you off... I have all the cruxes wired from before I got married. grin.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer... but at least the view will be nice.

Yah, I've looked across the river at "The Dorsal Fin" every time I go down there. It's best done at this time of year as the river is at its lowest for the approach. Sorry we couldn't hook up.

So would I, but the word I'm getting from folks I know that have climbed it is that it will surely spank me. I wouldn't want to get up there and then puss out on you. And they're saying that the first three pitches are the only ones worth doing.

This buying/moving to a new home/city and opening up a new office is really cramping my climbing. I was doing so good up until Memorial Day... rolleyes.gif

C'mon, you really want to go to Clearwater anyway. grin.gif

Thanks for the pics, wazzu. I hope they entice someone into going.

FWIW, I've always thought of the arch of Fat Albert to be 5.6-ish. It goes 5.10 on the upper pitches, IIRC.

C'mon peepull, look at that granite!! Look at those flakes! Look at those faces! Look at those dihedrals! And this is just one half of Lightning Dome; there's more to the right of the pic. Then there's the Rolling Stone Wall to the right of that, Then there's... well, you get the idea.

Fat Albert is the arch behind the two trees on the right of wazzu's top pic. Cretin's Corner (5.8/9)is the obvious dihedral in the center of the frame.

Welllllll..., I can't change that. It's 290 miles from Kennewick to Darrington, and only 225 miles from Kennewick to Clearwater. So I can save about an hour's driving time each way. And one can get about 6 to 7 pitches on most of the routes at LD, and that's good enough for me right now.

I just wanna go there, that's all. I haven't been there yet this year, and time's running out.

I'm not going, but I'd like to say that Lightning Dome is pretty cool. I climbed there a bunch when I was at school in Moscow. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Goose Egg mountain is a big choss pile. thumbs_down.gif

I remember one time after climbing we stopped in this store to buy beer. The store was the front section of the owners house, and you could see grandma sitting in a rocking chair off in the living room.

Owner: What are you boys doing up here?

Me: Climbing on some rocks down the valley.

Owner: Well you boys should head on up to Elk City.

Me: Oh yeah, what's going on up there?

Owner: Well all the men folk are down in Riggins watching the jet boat races. You could have all the women to yourselves...the both of them.

yelrotflmao.gif

yelrotflmao.gif And I know the bar/house you're talking about, and the folks that live there, too. Went in there one time waaaaaaaaaaay back in the days of spandex. It also happened to be the weekend that Earth Day was going on. You don't wanna know... hahaha.gif

Bump!

Keeping this near the top. Come on you guys, I can still climb! Don't be afraid, I won't bite anyone... too hard! shocked.gif

Anyone who can lead 5.6 or follow harder can do this trip! It's getting late in the game, and I really don't wanna have to spend the holiday in Seattle at the in-laws! hellno3d.gif

Bumpity bump!

OK, now the dealing begins...

You get your ass over to my house any way you can (or to somewhere we agree to meet along the way)...

and I'll foot the gas bill myself from there!

Your potential savings by not having to split the gas: ~$40

Climbing in an awesome venue on beautiful rock with no crowds: $10 bazillion

Basking in my glorious presence for the weekend: pricele$$.

Now is that plab, or what?

C'mon... doooo iiiiit!

I will vouch for sobo, having shared a beer or two at the Nickerson once. He holds his liquor. He tells a good story. He definitely doesn't drool, and I didn't see him pick his nose. Not even once. Quite obviously he's generous and motivated. And if you believe him, he climbs too. How can you pass up an offer like that?

I will vouch for sobo... ...How can you pass up an offer like that?

Really, how can you?

And I haven't been married all that long, so I still get plenty of butt at home, so don't worry about me crawling into your sleeping bag.

And that goes for you gurlz out there, too! tongue.gifblush.gif

PARTNER FOUND!!!

In a last ditch effort to save the weekend, I hatched the idea to call John at his Moscow Hyperspud location to see if he could break away before his Utah trip. Although John couldn't partner up, he had some fresh ideas of his own...

Lo and behold, he's turned up a partner for me for the weekend... And John and I are making plans to hit LD the following weekend ourselves.

Sooooo, mad props are goin' out to John for rallying at the 11th hour and saving my w/e! W00t! W00t!!

PS: And I don't hafta buy all the gas! fruit.gif

You wankers... it's always: "gimme, gimme, gimme". Never: "here ya go, here ya go, here ya go". yellaf.gif

I'm just kidding, Kurt and Dan, of course. I'll try to scrape up a beater camera and see what I can put together. No promises on the photogenic properties of the subjects, tho. cantfocus.gif

Fahq, I'm just happy to be going! Ya'll have fun on your respective and collective weekends, whatever ya'll end up doing! Buh bye! wave.gifwave.gif

PS: and before leaving, I claim the tongue.gifagebottom:! snaf.gif