• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
diggler

3 Sisters beta

Buddy & I are planning on heading up to central Oregon this weekend to attempt a 3 Sisters Marathon. Axe &/or crampons required? Conditions? Any recommendations on places to camp while we're there? If anybody could help us out with a shuttle so we don't have walk back to where we started that would kick ass too (we're planning on doing the traverse on Sunday)! Any beta appreciated!

Thanks! A 17-mile scree slog/hike/scramble with 8,000 or so ' of elevation gain in an amazing area seems pretty unique to me.

Are you going in via North ridge of North Sister? it eliminates a fair bit of mileage and makes for a better traverse. The rock is better than the SW ridge IMO--decent down low, but still loose near the summit. Helmets are still a good idea.

Go in through Scott Pass trailhead, follow the trail to Alder Creek (probably 10 minutes or less from car, if i recall correctly), cross the creek on a log bridge, and turn left onto a faint climber's trail. Keep the creek on your left and follow it up into the Villard glacier basin (with one large boulder with some fun problems on it next to a stream). then climb up and right onto the ridge. Follow the ridge to the pinnacle and climb up the Bowling Alley.

here's a pic from the basin (Alder Creek)

3720alder_cr.jpg

and the upper ridge

3720north.jpg

Thanks for the beta! I was thinking about the SW ridge, but will consider the option you described. Is it the same difficulty (class 4ish, from what I understand)?