Sloan Peak

roboclimber

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy and I attempted Sloan last July and got whited out before the summit. Found a great bivy site overlooking the canyon though. We turned back but decided to give it another shot this summer. May be up for adding 1 or 2 other climbers to our 2-person team. I might be on Rainier the last week of July, but let's keep in touch.

-Drew

drewjones1@hotmail.com

If you are thinking about climbing Sloan via the Cougar Creek Trail approach (Corkscrew Route) then the trickiest part of the whole climb may be fording the North Fork of the Sauk. With the heavy snowpack this winter the river might be too high to ford in mid-July. An alternate approach might be considered and have in hand on the day of the climb.

Robo,

2nd week of July sounds good for us so far. I'm usually out climbing at 32, 38, or L'worth on weekends, so if you're out there maybe we can hook up before Sloan and talk about possible routes. I agree with Mike about the river conditions. Our attempt was over the corkscrew route, but later in the season.

Drew

We attempted Sloan last year via Bedal Creek in mid-June. the trail has no river crossing and had been cleared the year before by a trail crew so there were only minor blow downs in route to base. We arrived at the basin below the peak within 2-3 hours and camped on an arm just below the massif. unfortunately we never got onto the corkscrew route due to getting about 6 inches of snow overnight. so, bedal creek is a longer but doable approach. Good luck!