North Cascades Recreation Map?

Dru

Somewhere I have heard of a topo map that covers the entire North Cascades NP plus a bit of Canada, at a scale of around 1:125,000 or 1:250,000. I can't find the reference to it in the Beckey guide I thought I remembered. A friend is looking to acquire one of these maps. Do they exist and if so, where can you get one?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 1:250,000 scale map that extends from Snoqualmie Pass to the Canadian border, released in about 1972, titled "The North Cascades 1955-1972." It was produced by the USGS. The contour interval is 200 feet and it is roughly 5 miles to the inch.

I used to have one that was in meters, and released perhaps ten years later, that went from somewhere maybe a little south of Glacier Peak up a little way into Canada. I can't find it at the moment, but I believe it too was a USGS release.

These are great maps to have when you are sitting on a summit somewhere, wondering what that thing in the distance might be.

National Geographic/Trails Illustrated has a 1:100,000 map called "North Cascades National Park, Washington, USA." Contours at 50 meters, metric, copyright 1990/revised 1999. Coverage is from 48 15' to the border, and it's printed on handily tearproof, waterproof plastic. Don't remember where I bought this one, but Trails Illustrated has a website: www.trailsillustrated.com

Hope that helps.

Mark

I doubt it is still in print. I'll be back in Tacoma Tue probably. You could photo copy it. It is realy helpfull for those border peaks when deciding wether to come in from the NCNP side or the CND side, esp if you are doing something creative or long.

james

206fivefiveo7543

I've got a 1:250,000 scale map that extends from Snoqualmie Pass to the Canadian border, released in about 1972, titled "The North Cascades 1955-1972." It was produced by the USGS. The contour interval is 200 feet and it is roughly 5 miles to the inch.

I used to have one that was in meters, and released perhaps ten years later, that went from somewhere maybe a little south of Glacier Peak up a little way into Canada. I can't find it at the moment, but I believe it too was a USGS release.

These are great maps to have when you are sitting on a summit somewhere, wondering what that thing in the distance might be.

They still sell that one at the Visitor's Center at the Park, not sure if they have it at the ranger office thing in Marblemount or not. It's a nice map, put out by the USGS, but I think the maps were printed eons ago. They are not plasticized like newer maps and tend to fall apart at the fold lines pretty easily. If you can get over the metric-ness of it, it has enough detail on it to get you around pretty good.

I just got one of the newer plasic Nat Geo NCNP maps, but have not even really looked at it yet. cantfocus.gif