New Orleans Is Sinking, and I Don't Wanna Swim

Dru

From the BBC:

The scene here looks like something from the apocalypse. People are running around the city, terrified about what to do. Those who are leaving have clogged the roadways so extensively that little hope remains for those who have not yet decided to leave. Gas stations are breeding grounds for fighting and riots, as people are resorting to a state of martial law in order to get the precious gasoline they need to move their vehicles. This truly is the worst part of the storm and it only looks to get worse. God be with everyone who is trying to escape the madness.

Sam Morrison, New Orleans, LA USA

Gun fight at gas station sounds like a bad scene especially if the fumes explode when you shoot someone. If this ever happens to Seattle don't forget to take a club, ninja sword or ice tool when you go to get gas to escape.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's was a prescient article from last Oct.

http://hurricane.lsu.edu/_in_the_news/phillyinquirer100804.htm

Alot of our refinery, port, and offshore drilling are right there as well.

http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2005/8/26/22637/7757

They are using the Superdome as an emergency shelter. Who knows if that holds up. The NOAA forecast is like the apocalpyse...check this out:

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.

PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD

FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE

BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A

FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY

VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY

THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW

CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE

KILLED.

Ha, i was just reading that exact same forecast. Damn. Makes you wonder who the hell settles in a place UNDER SEA LEVEL!!! I can't believe some people are staying and seeking shelter in the superdome, seems like a horrible idea. It's going to be interesting to wake up and see just how much shit hit the fan.

WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

No shit and it doesn't even mention beer shortages and plastic bead shortages! All they need now is an earthquake and some zombies, or radioactive mutants.

fuck that really sucks, but perhaps, could maybe a few other states down there sink too? There's plenty of room in Texas, probably.

Ah yes. Angry liberal anti-southern dogma finally rears its ugly head. I knew it wouldn't take too long.

folks, is this guy really as stupid as he comes off as? i'm from the south bitch, and i'd just as rather gouge yer eyes out n' skoalfukya as 'plain to you the irony that me, a liberal (which historically just meant that you believed all folks oughta have representation in the political system (THE HORROR!), can get so worked up over your stupid duck-quacking as to want to put my own principles aside and give you what you want, crucifixation zulu-style, w/ stakes pounded up your ass so you get a sense of the taste of your own medicine.

what are your southern credentials? who the fuck cares anyway? assholes live everywhere - you should know...

i'm w/ josh - i love a good human disaster story. next i wanna see seatac get buried in 50 feet of lahars - take pictures for me please so i have somethign to jerk off to 'fore i go to blissful sleep. evils3d.gif

This is a real shame.

New Orleans is one of the few cities in the US that I think is really incredible: its history, beauty, and culture. We decry losing our forests, lands, etc; but I think we may have forgotten that this city has its own value and beauty.

Oh, and Fairweather, I am a liberal.

fuck that really sucks, but perhaps, could maybe a few other states down there sink too? There's plenty of room in Texas, probably.

Ah yes. Angry liberal anti-southern dogma finally rears its ugly head. I knew it wouldn't take too long.

folks, is this guy really as stupid as he comes off as? i'm from the south bitch, and i'd just as rather gouge yer eyes out n' skoalfukya as 'plain to you the irony that me, a liberal (which historically just meant that you believed all folks oughta have representation in the political system (THE HORROR!), can get so worked up over your stupid duck-quacking as to want to put my own principles aside and give you what you want, crucifixation zulu-style, w/ stakes pounded up your ass so you get a sense of the taste of your own medicine.

what are your southern credentials? who the fuck cares anyway? assholes live everywhere - you should know...

i'm w/ josh - i love a good human disaster story. next i wanna see seatac get buried in 50 feet of lahars - take pictures for me please so i have somethign to jerk off to 'fore i go to blissful sleep. evils3d.gif

Fuck off retard, I'm saying I hate the south, not southerners. A shitload of people are suffering because they live in a shitty place. I know it's not their fault. I'd fucking hate the northwest if all the volcanoes started erupting and killing all of my friends and family. knock on wood.

FWIW I also hate skyscrapers.

why can you never talk bad about a place that has something bad going on? For instance, you can't say New Orleans sucks because someone would get pissed. After 9/11, no one would say anything bad about NY. Now that things are a bit closer to normal, NY haters came back out of hiding.

It may suck to be hit with a hurricane, and I feel sorry for those folks, but I also think the south sucks. Wouldn't want to live there. good people live everywhere and so do assholes. I know plenty of them from Seattle, and all over the US.