Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass PCT Record

wind_river51

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well thats great so we know the record is less than 24 hours, what is it exactly, and when? how?

how the hell do you run for 24 hours straight? jeeze, i damned near killed myself doing this in 48hours.

whats the REAL PCT record, ive heard 83 days for ray greenlaw, and 66 days 7 hours supported by this professor from the eastocast ... how do they distinguish these records?

I think that this is a cool pursuit, but given that your average speed was 1.5 mph it is likely that the trail has been done much faster.

Example: since the PCT is ~2,650 miles, someone who does it in 66 days is averaging 1.7 mph, 24 hours per day...

Just curious, what fraction was spent travelling and what fraction snoozing? I mean, did you actually more or less walk 48 hours straight with little breaks or did you park for an hour or two at some point?

Fuck the snipers, I think it's pretty cool myself; and of course all that really matters is how you feel about it. Knowing it's been done much faster gives you something to train towards for the next time.

The few times I've involved myself in trying to swallow too many miles in a day like that I have spent much of the day cursing myself for turning beautiful trips into..........gym experiences............but that's my little problem I guess.

to clarify-

i did this trip as a backpack- i started at 2:21 pm from snoqualmie, hiked to about 8:15 at delate creek, then slept, woke up cooked breakfast and walked from 6:16 am till 8:00 pm getting to deception lakes, cooked dinner, slept till 5:30, cooked breakfast and wlked out from 6:00 till about 2:45 pm that day.

i think i covered 21 miles the first day, 36.5 the second, and 16.5 the last.

i carried 19 lbs at the start, 5.5 lbs food included in that and 3 lbs water, so i wsa about 11 or 12 lbs at the end.

i never thought about just doing it all night, i guess all youd need is a camelback and some energy bars and a jacket?

i figure i could walk 24 hours straight, id do the night part first, oh yeah- youd need a headlamp too, and some crank.

• 2 weeks later...

What a pointless post... pure arrogant bragging about an accomplishment which is hardly noteworthy and has been bested numerous times before.

As far as the whole-way PCT record, I believe it was ~83 days prior to this summer, when the trail was run most of the way, and the old record was smashed. This run was very supported by a crew of people bringing in food and other gear, setting up camp, etc. So maybe it doesn't count.. then again, who cares?

55-year old Liberty University professor of exercise physiology David Horton completed the PCT in 67 days. Previous record was 83 days, set in 2003 by Ray Greenlaw.

David Horton has 95,000 miles of running under his belt, including his record-setting run of the 2,160-mile long Appalachian Trail in 1991, which was the subject of his book, A Quest for Adventure.

He placed third in the 2,906-mile Trans-America Footrace in 1995.

He completed Vermont’s 271-mile Long Trail in 4 days, 22 hours.

Horton is the only person to have run the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail and across the country.

In short, he rockband.gif

My dad weighed over 250 lbs (6'-1") at age 38 when he started running in 1968. He ran 8 miles a day for the next 3 decades and then some, cutting back to at least 6 miles a day when his doc told him to quit it. Then to 5, then to 4 miles a day... Finally, he had to cut back to 2 miles a day when the bone spurs just couldn't let him continue. He had to totally give up running last year at age 74.

While he never ran these long distance races and such, I once estimated that he's "run around the world" at least 4 times over the course of his life. He still weighs 175 lbs, but now he lifts weights and does cardio training for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, and that ol' bastard can still kick my butt at just about anything on any given day of the week (although he'll staunchly deny it). Love ya, Dad!

Mack Bates did it in a day back in the 1980's, while he was writing the Three Fingers book. He ran into a couple of old fellows wearing back packs. When he told them how far he had come and how far he was going, one of the men said, "We used to do 40 miles back in the day, but not THAT far". Mack instantly knew who he was talking to. It was non other than Harold Engles, retired former chief ranger for the Darrington district, about whom he was writing.