LaFuma sleeping bags

Jim_T

So I wasted a couple of nights surfing the web, looking for an ultralight, cheap, summer bag, and finally ordered the LaFuma Warm'n Light 600g. According to their website, this is a 1.5 pound 37 degree down bag. Now I didn't really believe the 37 degree rating, but ...

I get it in the mail yesterday, and the tag says 51 degree. WTF??? There are actually three temps listed on the tag: comfort, limited comfort, and extreme, and NONE of them is 37 - they are all above 40. madgo_ron.gif Where does this 37 number come from? Is there some translation problem from French?

Anyone have the LaFuma Warm'n Light 600g or 800g and care to comment how warm they are? thanks ...!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's 37 celsius. Just kidding.

I was looking at the 800 yesterday in a local store. They've got their bags on sale 20% off, which makes that bag really cheap for down. I saw the 3 tier rating system you're talking about. I think it was 42, 32, 4 for the 800.

Maybe the website is taking an average. My guess is the high number is supposed to be the naked under the stars rating, the middle is the long johns in a tent rating and the last is the "you'll wish you were dead, but won't be" rating.

Anyway, I'm planning to get one today for my wife who only backpacks in the summer. She'll use it this weekend and maybe I'll update this post with a review.

IFTH

Lafuma sleeping bags are laboratory tested by the independent agency IFTH (1) in compliance with French standard G08-013. This standard determines the following three usage temperatures: - extreme temperature: experienced users (2) feel cold. Hypothermia risk for inexperienced users after a few hours. - comfort temperature limit: experienced users (2) feel neither warm nor cold. Inexperienced users may suffer general discomfort. - comfort temperature: inexperienced users (3) do not suffer any discomfort, even local, from the cold. Remember that the conditions, the user's training and physical condition at the time of use can create discrepancies in these measurements, and consequent coldness. (1) French Textile-Clothing Institute (2) Experienced users adapt their position inside the bag to the ambient conditions. (3) Inexperienced users do not necessarily understand how to use their bag well.

Thanks Macson! I wish the online stores would give a little more detail when giving their temperature rating. This 37 degree bag they are selling could, in the hands of "inexperienced users", results in hypothermia after a few hours! cantfocus.gif

LaFuma is the worst at giving their bags misleading names. (with the exception of the one kilo bag). I tested a bag, the warm n' light 800 confort. I assumed that the 800 stood for the down quality, nope its 650. Where the hell does that number come from? Aparently it's the weight in grams, ugh. Overall, I wasn't impressed with the quality, shell material, down fill (I still don't think it was 650). The only thing that is impressive is the price, but you can get a cheap marmot down bag for a similar price and have a company in the states.

I have a warm-n-light 800 and for summer use its just fine in temps down to the high 30's low 40's. If it gets any cooler I need my jacket in conjunction with the bag. Packs down to the size of a PBR which means I am more likely to bring it then not. Weighs 1lb and cost me a cool $100 at Next Adventure in PDX.

YMMV