Singlespeed MTB?

fenderfour

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is there any constructive input?

Don't get me wrong, the opportunity to be like Lummox for the sole purpose of being like Lummox (at least in one way) would be an enticing proposition for anyone in my lowly position, but what works for Lummox may not work for all.

beeyotch

Single speed can be fun for the commute but for a MB doesn't seem practical unless it's mildly rolly and w/o much steep elevation gain. Granted I'm no expert but the rides I go on are mostly a lot of grinding uphill (5,000+ ft) and then traversing and downhill. With a single speed on these trails you would be pounded into pudding on 15 mi uphills or not able to keep up on the fast, big ring, traverses and downhills. No single speed would serve well on both.

i was out biking and ripped my rear derailler off, had to turn it into a single speed for the rest of the way home. Otherwise it would have been a long walk. worked great for that

however, going up and down hills i like having the options of swapping gears. especailyl since I am not in good enough shape to make it up the hill in anything but the low gears...