[TR] Cruiser- the 5.0 route 8/20/2005

neswstar

Climb: Cruiser-the 5.0 route

Date of Climb: 8/20/2005

Trip Report:

Went to climb Cruiser as an official Mazama climb. I was neither the leader nor the assistant - just one of ten team party members.

We went in from Flap jacks lakes - nice and easy, leaving at 11am in camp for dinner. Got up at dawn Saturday and made our way to Gladds Divide. Since we had no current beta about the snow in the needle we all brought crampons and axes. they were not needed. We stayed pretty huddled, up needles and still I got grazed by rock fall on my helmet and ankle.

The traverse was interesting - and I guess I just did not expect that much up and down. The whole party made it to the summit (squeezing in). I put new webbing on the anchors at the top cause what was there was slung using the death triangle. For the comfort of the party, we rapped numerous pitches. We had to rap through the Needles one at a time, on a double rope and still down climb. After the third party member got sketched, we attached the third rope and made the rap long enough to clear the nasty stuff. Quite the show of rock fall from the side lines. On average it took us 15 mins a piece to do the last rap/down climb.

We traversed the rest of the way to trail with no one getting hurt. We were very glad not to have any other parties on route to have to worry about.

Next day we made it out with time enough for Huckleberry pancakes at Jim and Laura's - thank you.

Next time - I'll go in from Mildred, or go early enough to hit snow.

Great views of Olympus, Seattle and Rainier.

Gear Notes:

3 ropes - and with ten of us - glad to had them all

pinkie and red tri cam, Misc nuts, cams

webbing, rap rings

Did not need crampons or ice axe.

Approach Notes:

Bugs didn't bother us much, lakes were very swimable, huckberries were prime and plentifully

492224-4thclassscramble.JPG.18a9f91aa55eedd0a9bfd67f1d4cc9e0.JPG

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

okay - Olyclimber even emailed me directions - but I seem to have the nontechie thing getting in my way. What I really need is someone to hold my hand. I can not, for the life of me figure this out.

Yes, I have a few great photos - needles pass, the saddle, the travers. If anyone out there wants to walk me through it - please email me a phone number.

For now - I'm getting back to work.

thanks

In 10 easy steps...

1. Left clicked on your attachment link in your top post to open it,

2. Right clicked on it to bring up menu,

3. Left clicked "Copy Image Location" to put it into my buffer,

4. Left clicked "Back" to go back to the thread,

5. Left clicked "Reply" to open a post to paste it into,

6. Left clicked the "Image" toggle,

7. Pasted the copied address into the dialog box,

8. Hit "Continue" to post the message and image,

9. Voila'!

10. Enjoy

PS: you should resize your image to something smaller. I don't know how to do that.

Okay I was mistaken it's step 2 that doesn't happen for me. I can open the picture but when I right click it give me a tool bar with 4 choices, none of them are "Copy Image Location". When I left click instead I also get a menu but again not with the choice I'm looking for. WTF This has been really frustrating. I want to be king - I'm sick of not knowing!

BTW - there is a another picture out there of needles pass with better res.