Cascade River Road / Info Request

Jerry_Eline

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to the ranger station in Marbelmount last week and they said there is major work taking place on the road right now due to washouts, windfall, and snow. The road is driveable to the 12 mile mark which is still 10.5 miles from Cascades Pass and 8-9 miles from the Eldo-BB trailheads. I asked for and estimated opening time and they did not have an answer for me. It did not sound good. Weeks? If anyone else has heard differently or has better info I would love to hear it.

Thanks

cgentzel@aai.cc

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

geordie get your ass in gear and start making more tickets to fund the road maintenance you gaper
[Razz]
Then I will come and send a mountain up there this summer
[big Drink][big Drink]
whilst drinking heavily without a permit to camp. See if you can find me
[Wink]

CAMO AND SF TACTICS ARE NOT ALLOWED RAY!!! NO AMBUSHING OF THE RANGERS...THEY ARE THERE TOO HELP...US...?!

Got the following from:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/tripreportfr.html

Saturday, June 1, 2002

Sahale Mountain:

The Cascade River Road remains gated at Eldorado Creek, an elevation of 2200 feet and a good three or four miles from the trailhead. The first mile or two is in good shape, with an occasional blowdown or bit of avalanche debris waiting for the appropriate public servants to do their thing. After the next gate-the usual closure this time of year-things deteriorated rapidly, with great swathes of mowed-down forest heaped high across the roadway and down into the valley. Soldier Boy Creek was particularly impressive, featuring a quarter mile scramble over giant piles of downed trees mixed with rock and snow. The skiing will be long gone before the park service opens the road to the trailhead this summer.

That is great info. I will be up there the weekend of the 15th too.....

So, I will be asking again next week to see if the Forest Service or NPS did any improvement....

Two years ago at this exact time I was able to mountainbike to the end of the road and I never came across one downed tree.

I can't wait to get up there!

Talked with a ranger from the N Cascades Natl Park the other day and she said that the road is going to get top priority. Lots of buzzsawed trees on the road. Also found out for those wanting to do Despair or Triumph, Thorton Lakes Road is a mess bigger than Cascade River Road. It is drivable maybe a mile before there are trees down all over the place. That one is going to take some time.

About 2/3 of it miles are mtnbikable with one patch of debris you'll have to walk through. Once you hit Midas creek you'll be ditching the bike if you didn't ditch it at the massive tree fall (three mature doug firs on the road) about 1/4 mile before.

Off topic, but I noticed a couple weeks ago several patches of blown down trees along the road out to Monte Cristo townsite. Never seen that before. Big snow pack, some pretty impressive avalanches this winter/spring apparently.

The planned opening date for the CRR is July 22. If anything changes I'll post it here. Asking about the road every few days isn't going to undo all the avy debris...

Ray- Are you still threatening to do that top secret route on Sahale... It's madness!!

-g