redwood trips???

brian

i'm heading down to northern Cali with my brother for about a week and i was wondering if anyone could recommend some really cool places to check out. we won't be climbing, just wandering around, hanging out, and sleeping in the woods. thank you kindly.

b.licious

------------------

stay cool

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park is a pretty cool place, as is Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. From the latter, you can drive out to the coast to a place called Fern Canyon. It is out of the way, but worth the trip.

The breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse in Arcata (actually out on the north jetty at Samoa)is worthy also.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park is a pretty cool place, as is Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. From the latter, you can drive out to the coast to a place called Fern Canyon. It is out of the way, but worth the trip.

The breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse in Arcata (actually out on the north jetty at Samoa)is worthy also.

If you want to do some good bouldering, check out Moonstone and Lufenholtz Beaches between Trinidad and Arcata.

Check out: http://www.cranc.com/

and http://www.holdit.com/doug/climbing.html

No sharp climbing tools on trees!! You should be climbing them without injuring them. That makes it more of a challenge too! I think the rangers might frown on tree climbing, so you might want to ditch the boom box in the interest of stealth.

To get into some of the big trees sometimes you have to climb a smaller tree and swing into the big one!

Thanks for the expert advice AlpineK. I thought those trees had really thick bark, so you couldn't hurt them. I know that when I climbed the tallest tree in King Co., it had bark about eight inches thick. Have you ever climbed the tallest tree in King Co?

CrazyMoronjz,

You don't use pitons any more on the vast majority of rock climbs. Well tree climbing has ethics too.

I don't think jugging a fixed rope someone placed in a tree qualifies you to make claims about your tree climbing ability.

You aren't a 5.10 climber until you can lead 5.10

AlpineK,

What do you use then for free-aid treeclimbing? The loggers trick of a belt around the tree, but instead of using spikes as they did, replace that with friction from your boots? Or are your cracking up the bark? Or am I, pardon the pun, barking up the wrong tree? Inquiring minds want to know.

Carl

Your essentially aid climbing. You need to get your climbing rope over a limb that will hold your weight. For a tree with no low branches you either throw a small weighted bag with a long string attached over a limb, or if the lowest branches are too far you would want a sling shot. After you get the throw ball in the right spot you can pull your climbing rope into the tree. Be carefull though redwood limbs aren't the strongest. Once your up in the tree you either climb from limb to limb or if there are big gaps in the branches you need to throw your rope over the next one and pull yourself up.

You can get books on the subject from an arborist supply store. WesSpur is the local company. They're in the phone book.

[This message has been edited by AlpineK (edited 05-04-2001).]

So, other than all the tips on how to climb trees, no one else has any recommendations of where we should head out to in northern cali? no worries. we'll just get in the car and drive. happy cinco de mayo.

------------------

stay cool