Serpentine Arete

Juan

Has anyone checked this out in the last week, either from a distance or by actually climbing it? Looking for a long day climb for this weekend, and the weather report suggests we head east. Wondering how much snow is still on the route, particularly above the pillar.

Thanks much as always,

John Sharp

P.S. Maybe my friend Colin Haley could go out this afternoon and tidy up the route. Any chance of that Colin?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, I've climbed Backbone when there was still plenty of snow on the face (it was the first week of May on a moderate snow year)and there was in fact very little snow on the route but just enough so drinking water was no problem.

I think you should ignore the forecast and go there. I would go but I promised to help a good friend move into his new place sunday. I know I know horrible time to do that but hey I promised.

I was thinkin about climbing back there again soon. Just can't find partners. Most are interested in scaling a 100 foot rock face or something like that.

Have fun Juan!

Ancient One aka Obvious Descent Tree aka HEY FRED WHAT HUH is looking for Triople Cs partners for this weekend. Im gonna set up the hotdog stand and ask the chics if they want some hot horse cock [Wink] in their buns. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Im gonna set up the hotdog stand and ask the chics if they want some hot horse cock in their buns.

Well dru, since you'll be needing my services to fill those buns, what time do you want me up there?

[ 05-22-2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: trask ]

If you want a long day of climbing without snow and seeping water look up on the icicle ridge. South facing quality granite, much nicer than the insignificant rubble piles by the road. there are a number of enormous cliffs, all of which have been climbed, just look up any drainage. they are all good and only about an hour or two from the road, depending on how much shit you bring. Moderate five star routes are easy to find, and difficult sections can be easily avoided and/or quickly aided if encountered.

quote:

Originally posted by cappellini:

If you want a long day of climbing without snow and seeping water look up on the icicle ridge. South facing quality granite, much nicer than the insignificant rubble piles by the road. there are a number of enormous cliffs, all of which have been climbed, just look up any drainage. they are all good and only about an hour or two from the road, depending on how much shit you bring. Moderate five star routes are easy to find, and difficult sections can be easily avoided and/or quickly aided if encountered.

wtf is your problem??? giving away the last easily accesible uncrowded climbing to the lazies!!!!!

it is really all shit people.....the tick mother ship is located up those hillz....avoid them or be prepared to meet the mother tick....

Bob:

As you know, Doug will either spring them on his partner on the trail going in, or on the way out, or in the car on the way home. Typically not on a route of any substance. By the time I'm three beers down on the way home, I can't even follow his questions. And don't even get him started on Civil War history. The man is a mental and physical machine. My only contribution is the occassional literary reference, meaningless gossip, and the occassional lead.

What's up Bob? Rafting?

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

That is a foreshortened view and you cant see triple c ice runnels from there. Good photo though. Most likely taken from the west end of the lake.

It is actually taken where we camped, at the Southern Most portion of the west side of the lake.

Triple C's are way out of the photo.

This image was taken in the only 5 minute span that we got to see Dragontail the whole weekend [Frown] it seemed

quote:

Originally posted by jrwclimbs:

how was the hike in last week and is the lake still frozen? Did you get any precip either day? Attempt any peaks? Snow conditions?

Hike in sucked, even with snowshoes

Lake is frozen, but there are plenty of cracks around the shoreline.

Precip the whole time, never ending

We were going to try for Dragontail and Colchuck walkup routes, and try Witches Tower - but all we summitted was the Colchuck Col w/50 feet of visibility. It really sucked and was kinda depressing.

Ended off the weekend with some fun climbing at Alphabet Wall for our first time at climbing in Leavenworth

Here is my report Getting Pissed on