[TR] Bear- DNB 8/22/2005

TeleRoss

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you missed the opportunity to peer down the north face from the summit. That's one of the best parts of climbing Bear Mountain.

yellaf.gif

If that's what I wanted to do I would have done the walk up.

You've got something to go back for then. It's nice to leave a few things undone so you've got a reason to visit an area again.

I climbed Kearney's west buttress and Beckey's original north buttress many years ago. We thought the summit was worthwhile both times. But there's no disputing about taste... wink.gif

Yeah, Lowell, I think I'd definitely like to go back to Bear. Kearney's other line, N Buttress West looks cool, so do the Ursa Minor and Ursa Major buttresses. The first one east, Ursa Minor looks big and long and super aesthetic.

Then there are the direct lines on the north face...woa nilly!!

But maybe Diamond Life is a possibility...damn that's like four more routes out there....sheesh.

Somewhere in there I might hit the summit... cantfocus.gif

We were on route, there's no trouble with routefinding. The reason I don't praise this route or put it in the same class as the B/C is because the rock (especially below where the Beckey route ramp comes in) is of fairly dubious quality, albiet it is pretty good for the North Cascades in general. And also I just felt that the B/C contained on the whole more sustained climbing from start to finish, again IMHO.

If I went to do the DNB on Bear again I think I would do the variation (can't remember who's) that goes straight up where Kearney's route does the rightward traverse...maybe around pitch 8 or so?

Mike-how did you guys find more pitches than Kearney? We did the entire buttress in 11 rope stretchers...

And don't get me wrong...I thought this route was a fine route in a spectacular setting, and did offer some outstanding climbing. I think simply I expected more of a challenge that's all.

Initial expectations always have a huge bearing on one's perception of a route I have found. For example, given two equal climbs - the one I expected to have no problem with but got my ass kicked seems harder in memory than the one I expected to have lots of trouble with but didn't. I think the same thing goes for expectations on quality of the route, etc. My 2 cents.

So those were your sticky dot tread shoe prints that were leading us off into the devils club...

My friend and I just climbed the DNB on Bear on Wednesday. THe climbing certainly isn't super cruxy, but then again, there are only two to three 5.10 pitches out of 20, so it can't be that hard. But I thought the rock sure sucked, the choss-climbing felt sustained to a wimp like me, and it made routefinding tedious. We got off-route at the snow-patch and did our own choss-fest to gain the ridge crest. Complete with big pendulum traverse and A0 stuff.

We camped next to Ruta Lake exactly where your first picture is taken. We were afraid of not finding water. I am glad we did it. Perfect camp sites, and only an hour back and forth to the notch.

The berries are still incredible up there and the salmon run was incredible in chilliwack river!

i must have the world's worst memory.

i remember the rock being splitter solid great granite and there being lots of 5.10 pitches and around 22 pitches.

i probably screwed up and climbed the wrong buttress.

there's a fad for shit-talking the route you just completed.

Also, i don't know if it is like this elswhere right now, but the bees are awfull on the approach to bear. I was stung once on the way in, once on the way out, and my partner was stung twice, several miles apart, on the hike out. There were times in the forest above bear camp, where the ominous sound of buzzing could be heard throughout the forest...

yeah, we too got hassled by hornets w/ multiple stings. must tread carefully 'round those rotten logs, though often unavoidable. i think one of the most dangerous parts of our visit there was hurdling and high-stepping full-tilt downhill w/ several buggers clinging, stinging and swarming.

I thought Bear had decent alpine rock; not phenomenal, but better than average in terms of cleanliness, competency. However, we did climb one long pitch (off-route? used Kearney) mid-climb that was horror-show orange-red rock. We believe we were too far right ~500' below the snowpatch, after traversing narrow grassy ledges. Not a "5.6 ramp", but looks appealing at first...

good times bigdrink.gif

the rock sucks? it has been a while but i'd say there is may be a half rope length of bad rock on the lower buttress and about as much on the upper! overall rock quality and climbing on the lower buttress is pretty average, but the upper part is stellar especially if you stick to the ridge crest.

• 9 years later...